Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Job interview

zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
Hi, last thursday I've been in a conference in my school animated by a company coo, he asked me this who are you ? telling me I dont want you to repeat what has been said in your cv or motivation letter, just tell me who are you and why would I choose you and does your visions of the future have anything to do with my company, I had that weird feeling : give up and then I said to myself , do I know who I am can I really describe myself ? at the end I was happy that've been there and then I said that man want to hire a leader not just anyone .
What do you think (this is my first share so be nice LOL ).

Comments

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have observed that CV doesn't describe your skills and abilities. Usually people exaggerate in their CV and once you personally talk to them. You get disappointed.
  • zakaria_dandouni1zakaria_dandouni1 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    @bubbli Yes you are right, but usually the skills are the same in terms of technical skills, but once we talk about social intelligence and leadership, none . Have you ever been in a job interview ?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    The letter of application is key @zakaria_dandouni1. This is where you have to make your mark to get to the interview stage. If someone is hiring and receives 100s of CVs that all look fairly similar, then what you say in your covering letter will be very important in showing that you are better than all the other candidates. Why should they hire you?
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    edited March 2015
    You could say, I'm very WYSIWYG. :wink:

or maybe

I'm the person you've been looking for. :lol:
    I have seen one CV that a person developed according to different fields and positions and you can never guess his actual field or core competencies!:) It happens frequently now in many countries. Sometimes you cant judge a person from a CV as it is totally different from the person whom you are interviewing.
    When I was made redundant (the first time) @bubbli, I was sent to a consultancy that gave training on things like CVs and interview technique as part of the redundancy package. I was advised that the CV should be short (not more than two sides of A4 and clear: name, contact details, DOB, education, work experience, skills and personal interests being the areas that had to be highlighted.
    @Lynne WYSIWYG ? is this English .
    @bubbli , @mheredge thank you those were good helpful informations for me :)
    @zakaria_dandouni1 Thank you for initiating this topic. I think we will continue talking on it as there is lots of things that need to be discussed relating to this topic.
    I think having a clear idea of what you can bring to the job is essential. The interviewer will be looking at what you can bring to the organisation.
    Its quite difficult to guess what an organization wants during interview. But still we can judge few things through their conversation and body language.
    Two questions sometimes interviewers ask is 'What are your strong points?' and 'What do you think your weak points are?' It's worth preparing your answers in advance for these as they could catch you out otherwise.
    A very interesting incident has happened with me when I for the first time went to an organization for the interview. The interviewer was also a master trainer and a speaker. I had attended his seminar on globalization in my university. So, when I entered the room for the interview and saw him. I forgot the interview and started sharing with him my views on his seminar. Gradually, this interview had converted into another lecture and Q&A session.:) But later on I got this job just because of my keen interest in social issues and my research work. This interview always amuses me whenever I recall it.
  • vhicathvhicath Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I am often nervous during interviews and if I am caught with an unexpected question like that, I don't know how to answer right away in english. I think I am slow when it comes to expressing my thoughts. I hope to overcome this weakness.
    edited April 2015
    @vhicath Just be confident when you go for the interview as confidence usually cover up your mistakes and weaknesses. :)
  • dujiannantoridujiannantori Posts: 486 Inactive
    well, i think he wanted u to tell him your vision for the next 5 years if you work there, and are you gonna do something special or innovative for the company or not.
    but well, you know probably facing someone in an interview is never easy and we can't think that fast with all the nerves building inside us. Actually, I was in a interview yesterday for a job in china (I am currently in france), it's a position requires oral english in a very fluent level, which i normally have, but i blocked for a moment when he asked me to expalain my previous job. everything's possible...
    @dujiannantori we can't give our personal vision until or unless we know the organizational vision.
    Well, it's true. But normaly interviewee should come prepared, that's what i do every time, plus i could not interested in a company without knowing their ambition, vision or value, whatever you call it. what do you think?
    @bubbli please check on my previous comment, i wanted to answer to you but i wrongly commented on the topic. I think this time you'll get a notification or some sort...sorry, i am not very good at this, my first time here
    @dujiannantori Don't be sorry. Just try and try again. You will learn soon. I got your point so don't worry. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    > @Lynne said:
    > You could say, I'm very WYSIWYG. :wink:
    >
    > or maybe
    >
    > I'm the person you've been looking for. :lol:

Hi Lynn, Could you please decribe me what it means WYSIWYG. Thank you.
    What You See Is What You Get @Michel@.
    @dujiannantori It was a memorable day today. On Skype, it happened for the first time that I discussed interview techniques in detail but I thoroughly enjoyed it and hopefully your interview and presentation will be the best. My prayers are with you. :)
    :) thanks @bubbli, I enjoied it too. I'd like to share with you more topics like this, about communication, education, social research, phycology etc. I love those stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    @mheredge@ thanks :)
    @dujiannantori sure you can talk to me on any topic except statistics and maths. For that we have another expert @Xanthippe and she will teach you statistics in German style. :)
    @bubbli @Xanthippe that's good you guys, I have a huge appetit of all kinds of stuff!!! Happy to learn from you at any time!
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dujiannantori, I am a Coursera fan. :)
    @Xanthippe thanks for the information, I normally use ALISON, TED and YOUTUBE