Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Why they are named junck food?

lisalisa Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
Do you love eating Hamburger, fried chicken and chips? Or drinking frizzy drink, such as coca-cola? Those kinds of food taste good and we are told they are harmful to our health, but I really love them, not all of the time but try them once or twice per month. This question has perplexed me for a long time, why these foods are named junck food?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,553 mod
    They are called junk food because they are not nutritious, and if anything are fattening and bad for us @lisa. They usually contain a lot of preservatives, additives to make them taste good, and really don't provide a good diet.

Junk means rubbish. They are rubbish food.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    But these rubbish food are truely my favoriate ones, especially when I feel desperate and am full of stress. @mheredge They can let me relax and feel better, although I know those feelings are just temperary.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    > @lisa said:
    > But these rubbish food are truely my favoriate ones, especially when I feel desperate and am full of stress. @mheredge They can let me relax and feel better, although I know those feelings are just temperary.

This is just like alcohol. It brings relaxation to many people and cheers them up, but it comes for a price. Exercise is far healthy means to tackle stress and anger. And even exercise can be abused as well.
    The addition of alcohol is very horrible, but it is truely to help resist coldness, tiredness and makes us feel relax, and we must control ourselves to a proper amount or it will be an addition. @Practical_Severard
    They are comfort foods @lisa, but just because they have lots of salt or sugar, or other flavours that you can't put down, this doesn't mean that they are healthy.
    Oh, yes, I onece listened one article from BBC learning English, in which it says that sweet food can make people relax and release their anxiety. @mheredge Maybe that is why I love junck food? @mheredge
    Not all comfort food is junk food @lisa. Today I made some three-bean soup and it was very comforting on a cold, grey day. At the same time, this kind of soup is also extremely healthy!
    edited March 19
    One kind of traditional Algerian bean soup is very dicilious and healthy, I think, I can drink a great bowl every time. @mheredge The local name is LUBIYA, I do not know how to spell it exactly.
    This looks very good @lisa. I think loubia soup (it seems to be spelled in different ways) would be just as good without meat added to it too.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/my-loubia-lubia-loobia-classic-algerian-beans-372923

edited March 20
    Junk food is unhealthy due to many reasons:
    Too many calories than necessary for most lifestyles (few people make a living by felling trees manually nowdays). The volume factor adds to this: a person needs a certain volume to feel full. It leads to obesity and even diabetes. Advanced stages of diebetes make a person unable of walking, even to bathroom.

The food contains too many taste and flavour enhacers (both natural and artificial). That's exactly the reason why the dishs seem tasty, but it's cheating. The artificial substances damage a person's health, while all of them degrade the abilities of a person's tastebuds, who can't taste subtle nuances being used to junk food. Though they restore after switching to a healthier diet.

Junk food is a processed food which hurts a person's digestion system because it's built to deal with tougher substances.

While all these things don't kill on the place, they can significantly decrease lifespan and the quality of life.

Sweets are ok, but on the conditions they're eaten in the morning and in small quantities just enough to catch the taste. That's the French way of having sweets. Or, maybe while doing a stamina sport (marathon runners have Cola during the exercise) or while doing hard physical labour.
    Yes, it seems the same as Algerian Loubia soup, and I love it very much, there is not meat in it, but with French bread, um, it is awesome! Amazing for me, i can not resist the attemptation of Loubia at all. @mheredge
    Junk food is one of the reasons why there are so many obese people in modern society. @Practical_Severard
    @Practical_Severard this is why I never enter MacDonald's or any other fast food place any more (I used occasionally before).

But Algerian loubia soup looks very healthy @lisa.
    Delicious and there are other kinds of soups in Agleria, such fish soup and vegetable soup. @mheredge
    edited March 20
    > @mheredge said:
    > @Practical_Severard this is why I never enter MacDonald's or any other fast food place any more (I used occasionally before).
    >
    > But Algerian loubia soup looks very healthy @lisa.

I think that fish and chips is no better, since it's deep fried.
    As for McDonald's it's sometimes useful as a free and clean public bathroom.
    edited March 20
    Fish soup is good, no fried fish which tastes good but is absolutely unhealthy.
    I have a few times slipped in to use their facilities @Practical_Severard, though sometimes they make it difficult unless you can show you're a customer.

Fish and chips are very unhealthy when you look at how it is all deep fried. I did used to occassionally (only two or three times a year) indulge, but only if it was from the North Sea Fish Restaurant around the corner from where I used to live.

http://www.northseafishrestaurant.co.uk/

This shows it very well:

https://www.google.fr/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48761b3a694d4ffb:0x4ae2951b092bc04a!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/north+sea+fish+restaurant+london/@51.5264933,-0.1252908,3a,75y,169.89h,90t/data=*213m4*211e1*213m2*211saL28Q_dKzwcwkjThsFNtjw*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x48761b3a694d4ffb:0x4ae2951b092bc04a!5snorth+sea+fish+restaurant+london+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2saL28Q_dKzwcwkjThsFNtjw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp3sijuP3ZAhUSDOwKHWqTBDcQpx8IxwEwCg
    > @mheredge said:
    > I have a few times slipped in to use their facilities @Practical_Severard, though sometimes they make it difficult unless you can show you're a customer.
    >
    > Fish and chips are very unhealthy when you look at how it is all deep fried. I did used to occassionally (only two or three times a year) indulge, but only if it was from the North Sea Fish Restaurant around the corner from where I used to live.
    >
    > http://www.northseafishrestaurant.co.uk/
    >
    Unfortunately, my liver doesn't allow me this.
    I don't eat much fried food but fried fish can taste good @lisa, provided it is done with very little oil. I don't like things that are deep fried.
    There are many kinds of fried vegetables and meat or fish dishes in Chinese dishes, all of them are delicious, and it is very hard for us to resist them, especially the dishes come from our great chef. :'( @mheredge
    I am not keen on oily or deep fried food @lisa, but there are a lot of very healthy Chinese dishes with lots of vegetables and that are stir fried or steamed.
    edited March 22
    They are really dilicious and full of nutrition, I am very proud of I am a Chinese because of Chinese food, haha @mheredge In Han Dynasty, they did not fried and just boiled or steamed the ingredients accroding the information got by the historic scientists. Not tasty but definitely healthy.
    The French cuisine and especially the Mediterranean one is very healthy and tasty @lisa. Maybe they exist but I have never seen an obese French person and life expectancy here is high.