Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What's it doing outside?

1126127128129130132»

Comments

• MahaaaMahaaa Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited January 5
    Here in Egypt in my country, it's very cold and i can't do anything specially at night but when i read your comments guys which mentioned in it about snow i know that we don't have cold as rest of you
    i really which to live like your countries and see the snow around me

---------------------

Here in my country, Egypt, it's very cold and I can't do anything (especially at night), but when I read your comments which mention snow I know that we aren't as cold as the rest of you.

I really would like to live in a country like yours, and see the snow around me.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    It's amazing how much milder it is today. Yesterday was freezing cold but today it is quite pleasant. I haven't checked how cold it is in the south of France but I'm hoping it will be much nicer than in chilly London.
  • KomilKomil Posts: 3
    edited January 5
    Today it's warm, damp and blowing an unpleasant wind. I don't like this weather. My be tomorrow will be better.

-------------------

Today it's warm, damp and there is an unpleasant wind blowing. I don't like this kind of weather. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,700 mod
    It's unseasonably warm here, 9° C. Normally it wouldn't go above 5°. That said, it isn't T-shirt weather. :smile:
    It's sunny still and right now about 13 degrees, promising to go up to 17 degrees later. (Normally it is between 13 and 5 degrees). However it is forecast to rain tonight and temperatures to drop to about 8 degrees. The weekend looks like it will be wet and next week looks set to be a bit cooler at around 13 degrees. It is much milder than normal for this time of year.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,151 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5
    It's that cold! Yes, I haven't refilled the bird feeder since last week. No, no, no...I am not lazy, but this cold weather restricts me to my room these days. But, birds especially house sparrows are really clever whenever they find the feeder empty, they start shouting at the balcony wall.

• lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Nice Picture @Bubbly
    It's bright outside, but it is raining. It's cooler than it's been the past few days (14 degrees) but at least it is not freezing cold and icy like in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/06/ice-expected-across-uk-as-weekend-weather-warnings-issued?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=259453&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,777 mod
    edited January 10
    Weˋve had a few really nasty days, it was all about weather. It rained and rained no end had been in sight. The whole sky was covered in a thick sheet of fog and it seemed as if it came closer down.

------------

Weˋve had a few really nasty days, it was all about the weather. It rained and rained with no end in sight. The whole sky was covered in a thick sheet of cloud, which seemed to be getting lower and lower.

(Note - in the sky - cloud. Around you and touching the ground - fog.)
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I can hear the wind outside, though at least it doesn't appear to be raining. The sky is very cloudy and it looks like a very murky day.
    Itˋs another rainy day. Itˋs raining cats and dogs. I do not know where this idiom comes from and my imagination is too sad to get a picture in my mind.
    Is is very gloomy and bucketing down here too @Hermine. Late night there was a terrific storm with thunder, lightening, a lot of wind and heavy rain. I can hardly believe that the weather forecast can be correct in saying that it will be sunny and dry tomorrow.
    edited January 10
    There was a joke, one of our project managers posted one weather forecast news in his working chatting group, and it said there would be sunshine, ridiculously, it was rainning at that time.

---------------

There was a bit of fun at work: one of our project managers posted a weather forecast in his work chat group, it said there would be sunshine, ridiculously, it was raining at the time.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Hahaha He hit it on the head @lisa (and has a British sense of humour). The weather forecast is never right! You'd think with all the scientific advances mankind has made that they would be able to get it right. Your project manager couldn't be more accurate about today which a few days ago, was forecast to be sunny with a few clouds. The clouds are there, black and raining and the forecast has skipped a day saying now that tomorrow will be sunny with clouds. I'll believe it when I see it.
    We laughted at his weather forecast message (not on purpose, just feeling funny). @mheredge What is worse, we have to pay a check to the weather forecast for each project when it starts, because the owner askes us to do this, and we do not have any other choices.
    It is actually sunny this morning. In fact there is a definite feeling of spring in the air. There are catkins on the hazel trees, and snowdrops are popping their heads above the soil.

I need someone to come and get my garden ready for the warmer weather - any volunteers?
    edited 8:23AM
    It is a rainy and damp day today, but I have to go to our cooperated company to ask for some checks this morning.

---------------

It is a rainy day today and everything is damp, but I have to go to our sister company to ask for some checks this morning.

(Checks as in to check or checks as in cheques?)
    Post edited by Lynne at
    At last the weather forecast is correct and it is sunny! Nice blue skies and the sea looks calm. I will have to get out quickly to profit from it while it lasts.
    edited 8:25AM
    Here itˋs also sunny. But, Iˋm sorry to say all of the wonderful snowy landscape is gone, the rainny days have taken them all off.

I would like to know if all the rain were snow, would it reach up my body length?

-----------------------

Here itˋs also sunny, but Iˋm sorry to say, the wonderful snowy landscape is gone, the rainy days have washed it all away.

I would like to know, if all the rain were snow, would it reach the top of my head?

Post edited by Lynne at
    Brilliant sunshine all day, without a cloud in the sky!

@Hermine how deep was the snow when it fell?
    Before Christmas time we had a lot of snow, everything was covered in fresh snow. I guess it was good 30 centremeters high. @Marianne. Compared to my childhood we had 50 centremetres.
    edited January 14
    It was a very cold night, but now weˋre having a sunny day.
    Post edited by Hermine on
    It is grey and drizzling right now. It is 9 degrees and will probably drop to 4 degrees tonight. Brrrr.
    In the UK this week:

Snow is forecast for much of the UK this week as the recent mild winter weather gives way to another cold snap.

Northern Ireland, Scotland and northern England will be the worst hit by snow showers, which will follow a band of wet and windy weather on Sunday night and into Monday.

Alex Burkill, a meteorologist for the Met Office, said: “From Monday onwards we’re going to see quite a change. We’re going to be getting our air from the north-west and that’s going to bring colder air, some strong winds and also frequent showers, which are likely to turn to snow.”

The heaviest and most frequent showers are expected in the north and west of the UK, which could see 2-5cm of snow. Higher ground could get up to 10cm.

Burkill said: “Through Tuesday and into Wednesday there is a chance of snow pretty much anywhere. In the south of England and Wales we’re unlikely to see anything settling at lower levels but we could get 1-2cm over higher ground.”

Temperatures will be a little below average for the time of year. “When you factor in wind chill, it will feel close to freezing,” Burkill said. “It’s been quite a quiet period of weather and that’s all set to change again.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/14/snow-forecast-for-uk-as-cold-weather-returns?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=260465&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

We had storm Friederike bullying his way across Europe this week. I forgot to bring the washing in, and a pair of my knickers ended up in the neighbour's garden. Sadly, worse things happened to other people because of this storm.
    It was very windy in London early on Thursday morning @Lynne. A train driver going off-duty told me that there had been quite a lot of damage and branches fallen on the railway tracks. All my mother's windows blew open as she never normally locks them shut being on the second floor.
    Itˋs snowing, thick flakes are falling down. Itˋs so nice.