Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

My choice of profile picture ...

Comments

• MartinCMartinC Posts: 11 ✭✭
    @Michouxe
    Thanks you :smile:
  • VokVok Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your endeavour @MartinC. It's definitely the way to remind you of your objectives.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,067 mod
    @MartinC what an original choice, a stimulus to learn English because the blackboard reminds you of a teacher, and such people want the students to achieve their goals!
  • Col_51Col_51 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited January 6
    My avatar is a Koala bear.
    I love this animal. He fascinate me. He is so peacefull and lazy.
    I would like to go in australia to see one of them.

-----------------

My avatar is a koala bear. I love these animals: They fascinate me. They are so peaceful and lazy.

I would like to go to Australia to see one of them.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    @Col_51 I agree with you a Koala bear is so cuddly and gives feelings of peace and if you choose this avator then I think you also have the same qualities, but I hope you are not so lazy on the forum like he is! ;)
  • Col_51Col_51 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @Paulette Ha ha, i will try. I promise :)
    @Col_51 I am glad to hear that, a good intention for the New Year! So I see you soon in many discussions.
  • MatthiasAndernachMatthiasAndernach Posts: 89 ✭✭
    My Avatar is "Graf York von Wartenburg" who brought Prussia to rise against Napoleon in 1812 by insubordination to the Prussian king in that time. (Convention of Tauroggen) Notable Descendents: Yorck was the great-grandfather of the late-nineteenth-century philosopher Paul Yorck von Wartenburg and the great-great-great-grandfather of Peter Yorck von Wartenburg, a member of the German resistance during the @!~* regime. - Sometimes it is more heroic not to do as "they" tell you to.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,439 mod
    edited January 7
    This is the logo of Dry January. With many others, I've decided not do drink alcohol for at least one month. Not because I am a sincere drinker, but just because of ordinary health reasons. Even if you drink just a little, It's good for your health to have a pause now and then. Last year I succeeded not to drink anything form January until April. Read more at: https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/what-and-why
    Post edited by Frank on
    edited January 3
    @Frank if you say "I want to succeeded from January until April not to drink anything, than can it is lethal, and certainly not healthy. I think you want to drink nothing of alcohol in this period and that is of course an healthy idea.

---

@Frank If you say: "I want to succeed in not drinking anything from January until April", then this can be lethal and certainly isn't healthy. I think you just don't want to drink any alcohol in this period and that, of course, is a healthy idea.
    Post edited by Frank on
    You are right @Paulette, however, if the police stops you whilst driving and ask: 'have you drunk anything', I guess they don't mean water, milk or orange juice.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frank
    You could have answered the police, it is not healthy if I never drink. :D LOL
    I'll remember that answer @Michouxe. It might come in handy.
    edited January 5
    @Frank
    I don't know why, but when I see your avatar, I want a cup of coffee with a cookie ;) !
    @Frank Is there a logo for DryFebruary? If so, how is it different from January?
  • LeonidLeonid Posts: 6
    I think that a good mood and a smile help in life, so I chose this avatar. Moreover, this avatar reflects the essence of my surname.
    edited January 6
    @Vok
    If I understand you , it's going about an alcohol-free January and February, but also about a sugar-free February and also a sober February? I think there isn't much difference, Just the sugar-free month! But when I see this logo I think @Frank doesn't contain alcohol !

@Frank :D
    Do you think I need this explanation?

@Michouxe Why not? BTW This is not the question game ;)
    :# :# Good for the next new avatar!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've recently changed my profile picture on G+. My own picture! may be I will share it here soon. The most interesting comments that I have received on G+ from a poetry community's owner. She said, "so you are a human being, before that I was considering you an alien." :)
    @Bubbly :D ;) And are you sure you are not an alien?
    @Vok Is this what you're searching for: http://www.soberfebruary.com?
    Bubbly said:

I've recently changed my profile picture on G+. My own picture! may be I will share it here soon. The most interesting comments that I have received on G+ from a poetry community's owner. She said, "so you are a human being, before that I was considering you an alien." :)

I would love to see your picture here too @Bubbly!

edited February 28
    @Frank I was just wondering whether a logo for February would be different from January. Are you still abstinent from alcohol?

-----------------

Are you still abstaining?
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Yes ;) @Bubbly I also want to see your picture, I'm very curious!

And I want to read your poems @Bubbly!
    @Frank I'm going cold turkey on sugar this February. Sugar is much more addictive to me than alcohol.
    @Frank and @Vok I am busy with persevering in thirty days without complaining. Whenever there is a tendency to do it anyway, I always try to think of the words of Phil Bosmans (a Belgian priest and writer) "Dear I know something good about you "and then usually the annoyance you had is gone.