Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you do in the kitchen?

Comments

• tottrantottran Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @mheredge Oh I know the struggle. It's impossible to find unsweetened yoghurt where I'm now living too. And there's no such thing as vegan icecream here!!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    I'm not sure that I have ever seen vegan ice cream @tottran, not that I have actually looked for it. Unsweetened yoghurt is available but I think the guy just wanted to sell me the yoghurt and either couldn't be bothered to look at the tub properly (the ingredients were marked in small print) or could not read the English word for sugar.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,858 mod
    @tottran oh yes there is a problem to find unsweetened yoghurt so I make my yoghurt self with a yoghurt machine because my husband is diabetis.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    I have cooked a lasagne with spinach and different kinds of cheese but my wife defeated me a salad with lettuce, mozzarella and dried tomatoes.
    @mheredge I wouldn't look for vegan icecream either. Just that dairy causes skin breakouts, and I can't give up on icecream! And I'm living in a country where people even put sugar in soup, so finding something unsweetened is close to impossible.
    @Paulette That's amazing. The best solution to keeping a healthy diet is to make everything yourself. Unfortunately I have neither the skill nor time for that.
  • elancer2013elancer2013 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    > @Lynne said:
    > Can anyone here slice like this?
    >
    >
    >
    > (As the man in the video says, "Don't do this at home".)
    >
    >
    > Well spotted @Dora. :)

I think i can do this but i never try.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
  • elancer2013elancer2013 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    > @Lynne said:
    > @elancer2013 - Don't lose a finger. :open_mouth:

Practice make man perfect. :)
    Eating a healthy diet shouldn't take any more time than an unhealthy one. Fried foods are especially bad for the skin. Dairy products are essential for strong bones and good teeth @tottran.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    Hermine said:

My youngest daughter was at home while I was at school today. She cleared the breakfast table, hang the washing on the clothshorse and swept the terrasse. I was very proud of her, she did them all without a to do-list.

It is good to teach children to do things around the house when they're young, as that means that they will do things automatically when they're older, and that will help you out a lot!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,741 mod
    There are three loaves of bread in the oven. Theyˋre 45 min to go. I applied a frew drops of coffee over the surface of each loaf to get it browner.
    @Hermine I can smell the scent of the bread in your oven, but I think that you mean, a few drops of coffee because I don't know what 'frew' mean!
    Thanks @Paulette, the letter ˋ r ˋ is useless. Indeed it smells so good in here. My family will enjoy the fresh bread with butter from the dairy and home-made jam.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 644 ✭✭✭
    > @Hermine said:
    > There are three loaves of bread in the oven. Theyˋre 45 min to go. I applied a frew drops of coffee over the surface of each loaf to get it browner.
    And that's from dough made by hand. Wow, just wow!
    @Paulette, I know it is a bit strange that Iˋll ask you here in the kitchen area, but I canˋt see the calender in the forum. Is that just by me so, or, you also canˋt see it?

Iˋve been checking the calender, but there isnˋt any.
    @Practical_Severard, there is nothing unusual. I often bake my own bread.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 644 ✭✭✭
    edited October 4
    > @Practical_Severard, there is nothing unusual. I often bake my own bread.
    Here few people do their own dough nowdays, @Hermine . My mother does for baking pies, but younger women seldom bother. There are electric bread-baking ovens which work automatically, you just add flour, yeast, oil and whatever else needed. They're popular.
    I can't remember the last time I baked my own @Hermine. I'm too lazy. Besides the bread un France tastes way better than anything I could make.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    > @mheredge said:
    > I can't remember the last time I baked my own @Hermine. I'm too lazy. Besides the bread un France tastes way better than anything I could make.

I'm like you @mheredge its a lont time that I dont bake a bread ,it's my mother or my sister who do that.
    Sometimes Iˋve enough of all those bought bread, hard the very next moment. The bread we get in supermarkets are pre-made coming from anywhere else.

At the bakery they produce really delicious bread. The rolls look so great and crispy.
    @Hermine sorry for the late reaction on your question about the calendar but I made a bike tour of 20 km because I love to see the colors of the fall and that way my thoughts get free and I came reborn home.
    What about the calendar, at the moment there isn't any wrong with it. What about yours?
    @Paulette, the problem is I canˋt see any calender in the forum. Isnˋt that strange?

Great idea riding a bike through the autumnal landscape.
    edited October 4
    @Hermine I sent you a link of the calendar. I hope you can open it!

http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html
    Thank you dear @Paulette. Now Iˋm sure, Lynne has cancelld some of our sessions.
    I have a bread machine, which is good. It means that I can make my own mix, but then the machine takes care of the baking for me, and I can then look forward to beautiful bread!
  • renanwillamyrenanwillamy Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands it is difficult to make bread? I can't imagine how to do it.
    It's not hard @renanwillamy but know have to give it a fair amount of time to knead the dough and then let it rest and rise. A machine makes this a much easier process as then all you have to do is add the ingredients and let the machine do all the hard work.
    Iˋm not a great fan of bread flour where all the necessary incriedients are already in. I prefer to add the things I want. I knead with hand, because the amount of dough would be to heavy for my kitchen aid.

Hermine said:

Iˋm not a great fan of bread flour where all the necessary incriedients are already in. I prefer to add the things I want. I knead with hand, because the amount of dough would be to heavy for my kitchen aid.

Yes I agree. Even when I am using my bread machine I will still always make my own mix rather than buying one that has already been made.