Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    On September 6th 1990, I was born!

Yes, today is my 27th birthday.

I am celebrating with my family and friends today, and will then be going out with my friends at the weekend for another celebration. I am very excited indeed!
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On October 12,1935 was born Luciano Pavarotti in Modena. He was one of the most famous opera singers In the world and according to many of his generation the best.
    Pavarotti was the only son of the baker Fernando Pavarotti and Adele Venturi, workster In the locale tobacco factory. As child he loved more of soccer than from music and his first locale familiarity get he as member of the locale soccer club.
    He sang for the first time in the locale church choir, together with his father, who was crazy on opera and was even not a worthless amateur tenor. When this “Rossini Men's choir” won the first award In the Llangollen International Singing Competition In Wales, decided the young Luciano to devote themselves to the music.
    In July 6, 2006 was found pancreatic cancer. Since his operation In 2006, he underwent five chemotherapy courses. Early September 2007 was known that his condision was very bad and visibly deteriorated. On September 6, 2007 died Pavarotti.

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the history books, Edith Eleanor McLean was born in New York on September 7, 1888, and was the first baby to be placed in a couveuse and who survived. At her birth she weighed 1100 gr.

Edith Eleanor McLean, when born too soon, was helped in a new immigrant hospital at Ward's Island in New York. At that time, the doctor William Champion worked there and he had read about French doctors who attempted to save the lives of premature children using the help of couveuses. The physician built a couveuse specially for young Edith Eleanor McLean, which was heated with a water reservoir of about fifty liters

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    I was lucky enough to hear Pavarotti sing in Nice at an open air concert there some time around 2002 @Michouxe. It think it was supposed to be his last performance but I believe he might have sang in one or two further concerts after.
    mheredge said:

I was lucky enough to hear Pavarotti sing in Nice at an open air concert there some time around 2002 @Michouxe. It think it was supposed to be his last performance but I believe he might have sang in one or two further concerts after.

Wow, that is truly an honour to be able to hear him sing. I wish I could say that I had heard him, but unfortunately it is something that I was never able to do.
    Geoffrey V van Anjou born on August 24, 1113 and died on September 7,1151.
    Nicknamed the Handsome (French: le Bel) and Plantagenet ( because he often wore a twig broom – In Latin Planta genista – on his hat). He was Count of Anjou, Touraine and Maine and the Duke of Normandy. Geoffrey played an important role in building up the power that his son Hendrik would be able to become King of England. The dynasty that then came on the power was called the House Plantagenet to Geoffrey’s nickname.

On September 8, 1504, Michelangelo revealed his legendary - more than 4 meters high - David image.
    The image is made of Carrara marble. It represents the biblical figure David, while he is about to attack the giant Goliath with the loaded sling over his shoulder.
    The statue was made on behalf of Florentine nobleman Piero Soderini, first chancellor of the new republic. Michelangelo began sculpting in 1501 on it.

edited September 8
    King Richard I of England, better known under the name "Richard Leeuwenhart'(Cœur de Lion), was born In Oxford on September 8th, 1157.
    He was King of England from 1189 until 1199 and is especiality known for his crusade to the Holy Land. The constant twists with the French King and his own brother In England, gave him after the third crusade the neckslag.
    During his return to Europe was he by the Duke of Austria captured and just be free released after payment of a big sum ransom In the spring of 1194. He was again crowned until King In England, and he continued war against France until1198.
    During the siege of the castle Châlus In Limousin, he was wonded deadly and died on April 6th, 1199, He was succeeded by his brother "Jan without Land".

Paulette said:

On September 8, 1504, Michelangelo revealed his legendary - more than 4 meters high - David image.
    The image is made of Carrara marble. It represents the biblical figure David, while he is about to attack the giant Goliath with the loaded sling over his shoulder.
    The statue was made on behalf of Florentine nobleman Piero Soderini, first chancellor of the new republic. Michelangelo began sculpting in 1501 on it.

This is such an iconic image, and I imagine that lots of people know what it is. I have seen the statue in person, and it was an honour to be there in the presence of such a famous sculpture.
    On September 9, 1976, Mao Zedong died at the age of 83, Chinese politician and leader of the Communist Party of China (CCP) from 1935. Mao led the country dictatorially, with the Cultural Revolution as the low point. During Mao's rule, millions of people died, but life expectancy increased from 35 years (1949) to 70 years (1970) and a greatly reduced of illiteracy. Mao, as the main founder of the People's Republic, is still unusually popular in China, despite the failures attributed to him. His portrait, prominently is present to the Gate of Heavenly Peace on Tiananmen Square in Beijing, is more or less a symbol of the People's Republic. His embalmed body is housed in a special pavilion in this square and is visited by thousands every day.

• chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9
    Although Mao is a dictator. My deceased grandparent seemed gave him good credit. Our ancestors used to be farmers for generations in China. They had no land and made their living by working for the landlords. The landlord would take all the crops they had planted and only a little bit would be left for the farmers, that made them always lived in extreme poverty and hunger. So Mao came and destroyed the hierarchy system, redistributed the fortune. Mybe Mao's predecessor was even worse. That gave him an opportunity to gain the support and rise to the highest throne.
    @chyijung Mao was indeed a dictator but he also brought China a lot of progress and improved a lot of things.
    edited September 9
    @Paulette , Mao brought a lots of destruction to China. During his time, there were famine, mass murder and cultural revolution. If my grandparent didn't move to southeast asia, they may have starved to death in their homeland. Ironically, his contributions to the country also related to the destruction. Mao almost destroyed all the deep rooted bad customs of Chinese. He broke feudal system, gender inequality, superstitions etc. so that his successor be able to rebuild a brand new society. It's really hard to tell whether he is good or bad. So I would just leave the question to the history.
    On September 10, 1846, Elias Howe asked for a patent on the design of a sewing machine. He discovered how a wire could be connected via a coil to a second wire to make a seam immediately, this was the so-called stitching stitch. But this invention did not immediately succeed, until one man Singer named this invention improved, hence the name Singer became famous as a sewing machine brand.

In economic terms, the sewing machine was a big step forward, because sewing with the sewing machine went a lot faster. For example, less money was needed to pay the workers paid per hour, because in one hour could more be done with the sewing machine than by hand. If everything should be done by hand, clothing would be almost priceless.
    Thanks to the sewing machine were there also more experiments with models and fabrics because everything was realized faster.

edited September 10
    On September 11, 2001 (nine eleven), extremist fundamentalist Islam terrorists, led by Osama bin Laden, committed attacks with 3 hijacked aircraft at the Twin Towers in New York and the Pentagon in Washington. A fourth crashed plane collapsed at Pittsburgh.
    Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives.

I think I read somewhere that the first drink-driving offence was prosecuted on this day, but I can't remember in which year!
    On 12 September 1940, four French teenagers discovered the so-called cave of Lascaux. The cave became world famous because of a large amount of prehistoric paintings that can be found on the walls of the cave.
    The cave of Lascaux is located in the valley of the Vézère at Montignac in France. The works of art date from the paleolithic. They were known to date between 15,000 and 10,000 years ago. The cave is also called the "Sistine Chapel of Paleolithic Art." Since 1979, the cave is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

One of the most famous French chansonniers is of course Maurice Chevalier born In Paris on September 12,1888.
    Maurice Auguste Chevalier came through amateur associations right In the world of music-hall and the café concert, where he immediately achieved a lot of success. In 1909 he was “discovered” by Mistinguet and In the revue of the Folies- Bergère made until her partner . After the First World War, where he participated, and acted In London, from this time date the inseparable tuxedo and strow hat. For years Chevalier beside Mistinquette has been the one who presented the French light muse everywhere abroad; he acted In operettes, made tours and filmed In Holywood and New York. He is famous through songs as; La Madlon de la Victoire (1918) before and later his tipical-parisian songs as Valantine , Quand du vicomte, ma pomme and many other. Chevalier died In Paris on January 1, 1972.

Paulette said:

On September 11, 2001 (nine eleven), extremist fundamentalist Islam terrorists, led by Osama bin Laden, committed attacks with 3 hijacked aircraft at the Twin Towers in New York and the Pentagon in Washington. A fourth crashed plane collapsed at Pittsburgh.
    Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives.

I can't believe that this was so long ago. So many years, yet in many ways the emotions surrounding the event are just the same as the very first day.
    @Paulette I have never heard of this Hershey chocolate, but I love <3 chocolate!
    I have heard of it and I think it might be available here in Nepal. I'm not sure if I've tried it though @Michouxe. I'm a fan of Bourneville (dark chocolate).
    Everyone of us has ever sometimes read or heard from these fantastic youth writer.
    Roald Dahl was born on September 14, 1013 In Wales. His parents came from Norway. His father died when Roald was four. After boarding school he didn’t want to study further, he wanted to travel. He got a job at Shell and got work in Africa. There took he after outbreak of World War II also serve at the English air force. He was shot down, lay in hospital for six months and couldn't fly anymore. He got a job in the United States, where he started writing stories. In 1943 wrote he his first children’s book. Roald Dalh is both popular at children as well at adults. He wrote children's books and books and stories for adults. His children books were awarded several times by both the Griffel jury and the child jury.

edited September 13
    @Michouxe a wonderful writer and I found in my library a book with a very applicable title for the international day of chocolat: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". :)
    @Paulette And I have not yet read a book by Roald Dall. I shame me :s !
    edited September 13
    On September 14, 1849, Ivan Pavlov, a Russian physiologist, was born. He has been known by studying reflexive conditioning (later called the Pavlov reaction). Initially, he wanted to study salivary secretion in dogs with different sorts of nutrition, but he discovered something else, namely he encountered the phenomenon that dogs already produced saliva before they took food in the mouth. And so he discovered that dogs associated food with something else. He began to show food at the dogs and then to give it to them. Then he tried with a sound signal and gave afterwards the food. Every time he did that, he saw saliva production and came to the conclusion that digestive juices are created through reflexes.

edited September 14
    On September 14, 1982, Princess Grace Patricia Kelly passed away (Philadelphia, United States, November 12, 1929-La Colle, Monaco, September 14, 1982).
    On Monday, September 13, 1982, at the age of 52, Princess Grace got a stroke when she with her Rover 3500, around La Turbie ended up in a ravine. Princess Stéphanie, who was sitting next to her, was only light injured
    This American film actress was admired several times on the white canvas around the period 1950. In1954 she played among others in the movie “The Country Girl”, where she received an Academy Award as best actress. In the year 1956 she sparkled in her two last films; High Society” and “The Swan”. That year she took goodbye of the film world to marry with Prince Rainier III of Monaco. Grace Kelly died the day after her accident at the incurred injuries.

On September 15, 1835, English explorer Charles Darwin reached the Galapagos Islands. Here he was researching the variations between the finches on the different islands. The birds lived isolated from each other. Darwin noted that there were certain features that were different on the different islands.
    For example, the beak of the finches on an island where only nuts and seeds could be found was a pointed hard beak. On an island where many berries are, the birds had wide and blunt beaks. Based on these findings, he developed his evolutionary theory.

@Michouxe that road wher Pricess Grace had her accident is very treacherous and I always hate going along it.
    edited September 16
    On September 16 1963 . Malaya, Singapore, Sabah and Sarawak joined together to form the Malaysia federation. Singapore withdrew from the federation in two years later.