Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you believe in ghosts or not ?

SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
I believe in ghosts 100%.Believe me it's true that I have experienced a couple of situations that I have now come to realize that Ghosts DO EXIST on this planet.The idea that the dead remain with us in spirit is an ancient one, and one that offers many people comfort; who don't want to believe that our beloved but deceased family members aren't looking out for us, or with us in our times of need? Most people believe in ghosts because of personal experience; they have seen or sensed some unexplained presence.

Comments

• mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    I believe in angels but not in ghosts,there are mental diseases which could see by people as unexplained presence,I know many patients who sufferd from this disease and they tell'us that they can see and listen to strange people.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    That s true, I also believe in angels @mouna.Yes, I heard certain diseases like this.
  • vinothvinoth Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I believe in Haven and Hell.
  • nadjibnadjib Posts: 16 ✭✭
    nope
  • renanwillamyrenanwillamy Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if i have that disease but i had some experiences where i saw something different than normal, i don't really know if is some ghost or angel or something like that.
  • maykmayk Posts: 156 ✭✭
    I don't believe in ghost, for me they are superstitious belief that used when you make child be scare. If the ghost exist it means there's a million of ghost over the world. I think ghost is only a imagination of neurotic person, they see ghost by his naughty mind. Scare + Naughty Mind + Imagination = Ghost.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26
    I don't believe in ghosts.
    Maybe have some people dreams, and have seen a "ghost"..?
    But I know after an anaesthetic at operations, seen or hear people all sort of things after they awakening.
    When my mother was operated of her broken hip, I have it experienced! My mother saw the infusion as worms, windows on the ceiling and probably very pleasant things, she always had laugh! maybe also ghosts!!!

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    You might find this story interesting @Michouxe, @Paulette, @renanwillamy, @mouna, @Saira, @nadjib, @vinoth, @mayk.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-die-2

It seems there is a gland in the brain that that produces a chemical called DMT that has hallucinatory effect. In small doses this gives us dreams when we are asleep but as we die, it produces the chemical in massive amounts to induce effects like the slowing down of time and illusions of meeting with beings you have believed in - ancestors or gods for example.

http://wondergressive.com/death-solved-by-vestigial-gland/
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,845 mod
    What is believing in ghosts? If you believe in God, believe yoy then in a ghost? God is the soul of someone who died and in our belief he is our leader and sometime we are afraid of him and we see him in our minds when we are doing something wrong. Is it a real ghost?
    A suddenly moving shadow can also be seen as a ghost and this scare it you too. Hearing a sound at night can maybe also been a ghost in your mind.
    You can have a dream with scary figures and think that you I saw ghostes.

I can't good define what a ghost means!

When I was a child then was in our living room this picture of GOD. Sometime at night I was scared of it (mostly when I did something wrong)

It means: "GOD sees me here do not curse"

• nuurussubchiynuurussubchiy Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    I would believe them if they're trustworthy
  • YuliaYulia Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited July 5
    I started to believe in ghosts when my mom told me what happened to her when she was a child. She and her friend spent night at her grandmother's house. They were talking to each other when they heard a noise in the hallway. It was like somebody opened the door and walked there. Then they heard like somebody took a water dipper and put it in a bucket that stood there. They got afraid. They woke up grandmother and told her that there was somebody else in the house. They went there but no one was there and the door was locked. Grandma said it was her husband (he died several days before that).
    Please correct my mistakes. And I'm not sure that I chose right words. When I was writing this I realised that I often do not know which words to use. There is so much to learn for me in English.☺
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,845 mod
    @yulia your English isn't so bad, I could understand the whole history of the ghost. All of us, non born English speakers have to learn so much. And I think the choise of your words is very good.
    Thanks☺ @Paulette
  • pezhmanpezhman Posts: 54 ✭✭
    may be they are imagine?or picture?
  • CorneliaCornelia Posts: 7
    Thank you @mheredge because the video you linked was very very interesting. I strongly believe that ghosts don't exist, we only would like to
    I would like to think ghosts exist @Cornelia. There is still a lot we don't know. Maybe they do exist.
  • CorneliaCornelia Posts: 7
    I think the opposite @mheredge: if someone proves that ghosts exist then I believe that; until that moment I can't say they exist, even if it would be fascinating!
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    I remember when my family moved to a new city. My parents were busy a furnishing a flat when my younger brother said: "grandpa". I have to say that my grandfather had died two years before. My grandmother claimed that the ghosts of dead can visit a place.
  • vinayagarwalkdlvinayagarwalkdl Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I believe in spirit. There are two type of spirits exist on this planet. one is good and another one is bad in the same way right and wrong things altogether exist in the world. There are two sides of everything one side cannot sustain without another. Without malign nature, benign nature does not exist. similarly, we cannot claps from single hand. well, I never experienced this myself but I have seen other persons who are affected with these spirits and by seeing them I can say that spirits exist.
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Even if ghosts experiences can be explained as hallucination or something caused by chemical inside brain, it doesn't mean that it is proven that ghosts don't exist.
    I don't say I believe in ghosts but I think there is still some possibility that they exist.
    I like to believe that ghosts exist @nontan. I think my father used to come and visit me after he died. I used to feel very happy with this.
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited September 11
    > @mheredge said:
    > I like to believe that ghosts exist @nontan.

Me too.
    How about fairies and spirits.
    Are they included in ghosts?
    In Japan,some people claim they have seen small people from about 8cm to 20cm tall, even at the present day.
    I like to see them myself.
    I suppose spirits, fairies, elves, gnomes and pixies might all be ghosts in various forms @nontan.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I don't believe the ghosts. but I heard a little of stories from around of me..but still I don't believe.I think its depend on our beliefs
    I think I do @taghried as I think my father used to come to watch over me sometimes after he passed away. In the nicest possible, not at all scary way.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 31 ✭✭
    you know when I said (ghost) that translates in my mind its bad ...but when you said your father watch you over in the nicest possible.I look at the meaning on the other side(i mean on the good meaning)..that's good @mheredge