Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you visit art galleries?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,119 mod
    What lovely paintings @Paulette!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12

Also in the museum of fine arts in Ixelles (Brussels) I visited an exhibition of works by Delphine Boël. This artist makes artistic works as an allergic reaction to the power of gossip, rumors in general. She is a Belgian artist. In her works she processes personal themes such as her resistance to her real father.
    Delphine Boël claims to be an outlaw daughter of former King Albert II of Belgium. Albert has neither acknowledged nor denied fatherhood.
    Her exhibition has the name: "Never give up"
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    @Saira
    I used to oil paint when I was in high school, and then often watch Bob Ross videos. He was a genius at making people feel as if painting a beautiful landscape is very easy, but in fact, it's really not.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @Yellowtail, yes you are right When he is working it looks like very easy, he doesn't care what size of brush he is using just doing.He was a great artist. I am also very impressed.Have You used pastels?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,907 mod
    Paulette said:

Also in the museum of fine arts in Ixelles (Brussels) I visited an exhibition of works by Delphine Boël. This artist makes artistic works as an allergic reaction to the power of gossip, rumors in general. She is a Belgian artist. In her works she processes personal themes such as her resistance to her real father.
    Delphine Boël claims to be an outlaw daughter of former King Albert II of Belgium. Albert has neither acknowledged nor denied fatherhood.
    Her exhibition has the name: "Never give up"

I think that's a really strong thing to base your art around, as gossip can hurt a lot of people, and we need to understand that it's absolutely not okay to behave in this way.
    @Saira
    I have not used pastels. But I think it's very useful because you don't need to dry off the brush and worry about stains on your clothing, while drawing in as bright colors as oil paint, isn't it?

@Saira

I have not used pastels. But I think it's very useful because you don't need to dry off the brush and worry about stains on your clothing, while drawing in as bright colors as oil paint, isn't it?

I always struggle with smudging when I use pastels for some reason. I don't have the best skills when it comes to art, so I don't think pastels are the best medium for me!
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @Yellowtail, yes you are right.Are you still painting now ?
    @Saira
    I paint with Photoshop sometimes. So when I paint on the paper on rare occasion, I find myself wanting to undo the mistake.

@Saira

I paint with Photoshop sometimes. So when I paint on the paper on rare occasion, I find myself wanting to undo the mistake.

It must be rather annoying when you realise that you're not able to change what you have done, unlike when you're using a computer!
    edited May 25
    mheredge said:
    That's amazing. The only things I can draw with my iPad look as though they have been done by a 6 year old - in fact my 6 year old nephew can draw better than me!
    I visited the Musee Beaux Artes in Nice yesterday afternoon. It's quite small but has a lovely collection of Raoul Dufy and Picasso ceramics and paintings.
    @mheredge David Hockney's art is new to me. I think his paintings, even old ones, look as if were painted on iPad. I very like them.
    mheredge said:

He's a very well know British artist @Yellowtail. He's 80 now but has been painting since he was a young art student in Bradford. He was a prime mover in the 1960s pop-art scene. His paintings sell for a fortune these days. The Splash sold for £2.6 million in 2006

and this one of the Grand Canyon that is a part of a series of paintings was sold for £4.6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hockney

I like that piece of artwork, I think it looks absolutely stunning, to be honest with you. I love the colours in it. It paints a really good picture of the place. I would love to go there.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 700 OTT
    Paintings by joan of arc always impressed me

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/06/saint-joan-of-arc.html
    edited June 9
    I visited the Van Buuren House in Ukkel ( Brussels)
    I was very impressed of the masterpieces in the house and also because all the furniture is handmade with rare materials such as horsehair used for the upholstery of the chairs or the curtains in special silk, and there is also another specific type of wood used in each room.

This house bought in 1928 by the banker David van Buuren, has an outdoor architecture typical of the Amsterdam School, while the indoor decoration characterizes an "Art Deco" whole by Belgian, French and Dutch designers. The van Buuren made their villa a "living academy", with rare furniture, carpets, stained-glass windows, sculptures and international masterpieces. This " private memory house " became a museum in 1975 according to the testament of Alice van Buuren .

The famous Belgium painters Gustave Van de Woestijne, Permeke and James Ensor were hous friends and in the house there are a lot of paintings from them.

Today I will be visiting Matisse's home in Cimiez, a very salubrious part of Nice where there are many fine buildings from the last century.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/cote-d-azur/nice/articles/Henri-Matisses-Nice/

• BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge it seems they maintained these buildings very well. I like old buildings especially their unique architecture.
    Bubbly said:

@mheredge it seems they maintained these buildings very well. I like old buildings especially their unique architecture.

I think there are a lot of people who like to donate money to places such as that, so it is likely that they will indeed be maintained well. Lots of wealthy people like to support the arts, and it shows!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I think people have many ways to spend their extra money.My only concern is maintenance that is more related to human resources.
    The National Gallery in London

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/06/st-jerome-commo-tura.html

lovely paintings
    I read that Gaudi's first building in Barcelona is opening as a museum in October.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-house-designed-antoni-gaudi-open-museum-180963637/#Fo0YvlVWIleB1z16.01
    @mheredge I read also in the neswpaper that the summer house of Renoir in Essoyes, France with his atelier opened as a museum last week.

Bubbly said:

@GemmaRowlands I think people have many ways to spend their extra money.My only concern is maintenance that is more related to human resources.

Yes that is true. My local museum is very well supported though, and the staff there work in there for free just because they really enjoy and love what they are doing.
    This looks a nice place to visit @Paulette. It's in Champagne country too!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,292 mod
    In Frankfurt many of the museums open their doors on the last Saturday of every month. Admission is free (not August and December), and they hold special workshops etc. I think it's a great idea. They call it Satourday. :)
    Culture of music was so alive during the Middle Ages.

When I looked at this painting in the National Gallery, I would compare their clothes with the many international visitors that passed me by, as I sat on the red leather couch.

Many years later I saw the wooden instument in a Dresden Museum and harked back to this painting.

@Lynne @mheredge @GemmaRowlands
    @Paulette @Bubbly @Yellowtail

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/06/a-concert-1535-lorenzo-costa.html