Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Photo Fun - Shakespeare's Birthplace - Corrected

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,639 mod
edited June 26 in Photo Fun
After a long break, let's get back to having fun with photos.

Try describing this picture: Where was it taken? What is happening in the photo?
You can also discuss how it makes you feel, and why.

2016 - Xmas
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    I think it was taken in December if that's a wreath of holy on.the door behind the three children. They're also wearing winter clothes, so it looks like it's cold.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    > @Lynne said:
    > After a long break, let's get back to having fun with photos.
    >
    > Try describing this picture: Where was it taken? What is happening in the photo?
    > You can also discuss how it makes you feel, and why.

Flickr says the image was shot on 21 Dec 2016. The popup message is "Xmas 2016". I think the children are posing for a picture, while this photo is taken by another photographer. The girl in red looks Dutch, Scandinavian or Northern German. Probably, English. It's says something about the location. I think it's somewhere on the North Sea's coast.

I don't think they live in the house, given it's obvious antiquity and that there's no gate in the fence. The photo must have been shot in a sightseeing trip, while the house is a museum or a historical building.

-----------------------

Flickr says the image was shot on 21 Dec 2016. The popup message is "Xmas 2016". I think the children are posing for a picture being taken by another photographer. The girl in red looks Dutch, Scandinavian or Northern German, but she's probably, English. It says something about the location. I think it's somewhere on the coast of the North Sea.

I don't think they live in the house, given it's obvious antiquity and that there's no gate in the fence. The photo must have been shot on a sightseeing trip, and the house is a museum or a historic building.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    Shakespeare's birthplace: (how do they know?)
    Henley St, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6QW, UK

www.google.ru/maps/place/52%C2%B011'37.7%22N+1%C2%B042'29.0%22W/@52.1939115,-1.7080062,3a,75y,152.96h,83.95t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-9J2PWHqU3WE%2FWLg6vanf9EI%2FAAAAAAABips%2FVgF8xHFXSZ8C8tQAXvEF6bM1Q5Tkb5jOQCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2F-9J2PWHqU3WE%2FWLg6vanf9EI%2FAAAAAAABips%2FVgF8xHFXSZ8C8tQAXvEF6bM1Q5Tkb5jOQCLIB%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya284.57288-ro-0-fo100%2F!7i5660!8i2830!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d52.1938111!4d-1.7080667
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    This picture reminds me that it must be from a cold country because of its roof structure.
    The house looks old because of its architecture and door. Little children are posing in front and out of the railing and look very happy and excited. So this house must not be of them as nobody cares and get excited about their house. Most probably it must be some kind of tourist spot with history.

---------------

This picture looks as if it is from a cold country because of its roof structure.
    The house looks old because of its architecture and door.

The children are posing in front of the house, outside the railings, and they look very happy and excited. So this house must not belong to them as nobody cares or gets excited about their own house. Most probably it is some kind of tourist spot with an interesting history.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    I'm curious about the form in the window. It looks more like a Tailor's dummy than a person.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    This is the birthplace of William Shakespeare in Henley Street,Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England, a English playwright,poet and actor now photographed in Christmas time, I think with children of tourist in the years 2016, and now a restored museum.

---------------------

This is the birthplace of William Shakespeare in Henley Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England. Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet and actor.

The photo was taken at Christmas in 2016, I think with the children of the tourist. The building is now a restored museum.

Post edited by Lynne on
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    I can imagine child William Shakespeare comes out of the door for school in the morning, left behind his mother seeing him off. I don't know well about his life. But I wonder what brought him up to be that great playwright. Education, circumstances, or a pure gift?

------------------

I can imagine the child William Shakespeare coming out of the door for school in the morning, leaving his mother behind him, seeing him off.

I don't know much about his life, but I wonder what influenced him to become a great playwright. Education, circumstances, or a pure gift?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    Scott said:

The picture makes me think of Harry Potter, which I don't know why. Maybe They are harry potter's neighbors, waiting for their owl. Why they are outside is because their uncle blocked all the windows to not let in the owl which will bring mails that say, "You are allowed to enter the Hogwart' kindergarten." ... sorry, just kidding!

That is EXACTLY what came into my mind, too. I also don't know why. Because it doesn't look like any of the actual buildings that are in the film.
    The kids do look like they're posing. At least they're not taking a selfie.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    mheredge said:

The kids do look like they're posing. At least they're not taking a selfie.

The obsession with selfies in this day and age really does fascinate me. I can't remember where it even came from, but now it's everywhere!
  • yangchin1997yangchin1997 Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited April 22
    three child decide to buy a house to keep their teddy bear

----------------

Three children have decided to buy a house to keep their teddy bears in.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • Indu07Indu07 Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited April 22
    The three children are posing to take a picture in front of a historically important building.

---------------------
    The three children are posing to have their picture taken in front of a historically important building.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    I wonder the bust in the upper-right window has been there since the period of Shakespeare?

-----------------

I wonder if the bust in the upper-right window has been there since the time of Shakespeare?
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    You're doing great everyone. I will correct all your posts next month (when a new challenge will start), but remember to remind me. :smiley:
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    edited April 22
    The photo was taken in Henley Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, and the house is Shakespeare's birthplace.

It is a restored 16th-century half-timbered house. It is believed that William Shakespeare was born there in 1564 and spent his childhood years there.

I took the picture in December, on my Christmas trip to the UK. (Well done for spotting the wreath.) The children weren't with us, but their mother was taking so long trying to capture the perfect photo, I had to just get on with my own photo (otherwise hubby could have been miles away).
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew it. ;)
    But I have seen a black and white picture of this house in some video.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They are posing for a photo. But, it also matters who is taking it? :)
This discussion has been closed.