Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you keep cool in the hot weather?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,887 mod
In my country, it is very warm at the moment. It isn't as hot as other countries, but because we aren't used to the heat it feels very hot and uncomfortable. I am not able to sleep because of the heat, and because of this I need to think about ways that I am able to cool down.

Does anybody have any advice about how I can keep nice and cool when the weather is warm?

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    I'm heading to the Caribbean for a few days @GemmaRowlands, and I've already been warned that I need to check that wherever I stay has air conditioning (which I normally hate), as it's unbearably hot without it.

    I occasionally use a fan when it's very hot. Keeping the curtains drawn if this doesn't block out all the light is also a useful way to stop the room getting too hot.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    mheredge said:

    I'm heading to the Caribbean for a few days @GemmaRowlands, and I've already been warned that I need to check that wherever I stay has air conditioning (which I normally hate), as it's unbearably hot without it.



    I occasionally use a fan when it's very hot. Keeping the curtains drawn if this doesn't block out all the light is also a useful way to stop the room getting too hot.

    Yes it's definitely a must-have to have air con when you're somewhere like that, as that type of heat can cause you to feel light headed if you're not used to it.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually take shower and stay in the basement of my house if I am at home. In office, we don't need anything as there is AC and ceiling fans as well.

    I try to wear lawn stuff especially shirts. It is really light in weight and cool in the summer.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    Bubbly said:

    I usually take shower and stay in the basement of my house if I am at home. In office, we don't need anything as there is AC and ceiling fans as well.

    I try to wear lawn stuff especially shirts. It is really light in weight and cool in the summer.

    I wish that I had AC in my home, but there aren't enough hot summer days to make it worth it here - but sometimes I do wish that I could switch it on during those hot days in the summer!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    No need for hot water in the places I was staying in until today @GemmaRowlands. It was just so hot it was unbearable. Even the cold water wasn't really cold.
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 Inactive
    When it's very hot, i like to watering my wrist, neck, arms, chest, back, and my foot, than turn on the ventilator at low speed. It's cools me instantly.
    Or sometimes i fill a cooling bag with water and ice accumulator, and use this cold water to fomentation in my wrist or ankle.
    Once i read an article which says the best way to cool yourself down, if you cooling your artery.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    @LaszloMark you water the plants, but I think you mean that you wet your arms, feet and so on to cool down. I sometimes put a wet cloth near the fan and this helps to cool the air.

    I'm not sure what you mean by 'formentation' but you seem to describe what I would call a cold compress.
  • LaszloMarkLaszloMark Posts: 89 Inactive
    @mheredge Yes, thank you, for your reply! That's what i want to say. Wet your arms, and feet!
    Yes, i meant to say cold compress. An online dictionary give me this word. But yes!
    New day, new words to learn :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    My solution to escaping the heat has been to 'migrate' like a bird to a cooler place at a higher altitude! Bogotá has a very cool climate and I'm happy to have a thin pullover and jacket.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    mheredge said:

    No need for hot water in the places I was staying in until today @GemmaRowlands. It was just so hot it was unbearable. Even the cold water wasn't really cold.

    I used to have an apartment that it was impossible to get cold water from, and it certainly becomes quite tiring after a while!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    My cold water doesn't seem to run very cold these days @GemmaRowlands.

    I have all the windows open in the hope of a cool through draft, but it's not working!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,887 mod
    mheredge said:

    My cold water doesn't seem to run very cold these days @GemmaRowlands.



    I have all the windows open in the hope of a cool through draft, but it's not working!

    It is horrible when there is simply no cool air to had. It can get very uncomfortable! At the moment, I just want to jump into a cold swimming pool!
This discussion has been closed.