Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

My mum's birthday

My mum turned 54 today. She's a bit worried about ageing, though she looks younger than her age. My brother and I offered her books and materials for knitting, a jewel holder and my dad bought a beautiful pastel pink dress for her (along with some banknotes, as he did not have time to go buy more presents). We had a lovely meal and the dessert was a chocolate fondant with creme brulee flavoured ice-cream. Hope nobody's envious. :P
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,481 mod
    edited April 2014
    Happy birthday to your mother @Elfish! That sounds like a lovely way to celebrate. I'm very jealous. Creme brulee flavoured ice-cream sounds delicious.

It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago too. I ordered a chocolate pudding that was supposed to come served as a flambe, but when it arrived, it wasn't a cake-type pudding, but a chocolate mousse and wasn't at all the sort of pudding I had imagined.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh @mheredge‌, you must have been disappointed. :( Was the chocolate mousse any good though?
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    I never do anything special when it's my birth date
    I didn't like the look of it @Elfish, so I had chocolate cake with ice cream instead. That was very good. I don't usually do much on my birthday, unless I'm somewhere where I can invite friends round for dinner. In Calcutta, I didn't really know anyone who I could invite.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭
    @SillyLittleBleeder‌ Has it anything to do with your customs or is it that you don't like celebrating your birthday?
  • SLBSLB Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭
    @Elfish‌
    No it has nothing to do with customs, it's just me.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,742 mod
    Congratulation to your mum, @elfish.

In some countries, like Nepal, birthdays aren't really celebrated much, except perhaps by people in the cities who are copying what's done in the west.

In fact, for many people there, they're not all that sure about their exact date of birth as registrations of births is even now, not that accurate, especially in the villages in the countryside.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    Belated birthday wishes to your mum Elfish.

I'll be honest, we don't celebrate birthdays the way we used to. I think we're getting old.
    The novelty's sort of wearing off.
This discussion has been closed.