Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Let's talk about films and TV.

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 9,655 mod
edited March 2016 in Films, TV and Theatre
"SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE"
I watched "SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE" last night.
I was quite shocked to see how the children are treated in the story.
The adults make the children blind to make people feel pity for them and give them more alms? :-O
What a world!
I realise that it is somehow still the reality for a lot of children.
I was glad that the film has a happy ending, but my thought stays with those children.

----------------------

I watched "SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE" last night.
I was quite shocked to see how the children were treated in the story. The adults blinded them to make people feel pity for them and give them more alms. What a world!

I realise that it is somehow still the reality for a lot of children. I was glad that the film had a happy ending, but my thoughts stay with those children.
Post edited by Lynne on
Tagged:

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 9,655 mod
    You are right Helvio. :)
    I could smell the sh .... in my room at that moment. @-)
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is sh.. a so bad word that we can't write its here? :P
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 23,498 mod
    There's a documentary showing on Channel 4 tonight in the UK about the orphan business which is rife in Nepal (and I think India too).

According to Channel 4, reporters from Unreported World went undercover in orphanages in Nepal, where they discovered that many children have been taken from impoverished parents, and used by orphanage owners to attract donations. The reporters visited Thamel in Kathmandu, where tourists can volunteer in orphanages. There are more than 500 orphanages in the Kathmandu valley. As well as working as volunteers, every year foreigners donate millions of pounds to help orphans.

One former orphanage worker tells the programme about an institution that claims all the 80 children it looks after are orphans or abandoned. But he claims that when he worked there, 45 of the children told him that they had parents. In some cases he has met the parents.

He claims that the home's owner is persuading poor, lower-caste families to give up their children with the promise of a good education. The orphanage owner then becomes their legal guardian and attempts to obtain their birth certificates and change their names. Having no birth certificates leaves parents unable to reclaim their children. One mother who gave up her children tells the reporters that the orphanage owner refused to give her children back and she alleges that they escaped only after a brutal beating.

In a poor neighbourhood in Kathmandu a seven-year-old boy tells them about his treatment at the hands of the orphanage's staff. He claims all the children were beaten on a daily basis with sticks, belts and shoes, simply for talking, and if one child talked they were all beaten.

I don't know if you're able to watch programmes from the UK. I'm trying to find out how I can watch it being out in India. Tourism Concern are trying to help raise awareness of these issues with tourists and potential volunteers. There are many very negative impacts of tourism, especially when they think they might be doing good. I always try to discourage volunteers who want to go to children's homes as most are a scam, out to get money from these good-intentioned people but rarely helping the children.
    If you're interested, you can access a very interesting documentary called Paper Orphans that was made by Terre des Hommes, a Swiss NGO a few years ago at http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/paper-orphans/
    My goodness Marianne! Your story makes my stomach churn. :-&
    Sadly there's a lot of exploitation in poor countries like Nepal.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,490 mod
    Sadly there is a lot of exploitation in supposedly rich countries like America, Germany and the UK.
    It's sad to be too cynical, but it can be dangerous to be too trusting. I can see a lot of tourists being taken for a ride by unscrupulous characters all over the place here. It's a shame.
    I watched most of Dr Who's last night but was so tired that I had to stop about three quarters of the way through. Tonight I'm going to watch the rest.
    I watched 'captain Phillips', I recomend you watch it too.

Captain Phillips trailer
    edited November 2013
    @Lynne
    First of all, thank for the correction. :)
    Lynne, in the film Slumdog Millionaire -I'm not sure how it is possible- the man kind of pulled out the boy's eyeballs (like a surgeon does) with a spoon!
    Did that man blind the child here?
    Thanks Lynne.
    @Helvio
    It's a new release, right? Have you watched the film in the cinema or on PC?
    I think it has been playing in the cinema here since last week.
    Yes @april, it still on the movies.
    So, I went to the movies today on the lunch time.
    edited November 2013
    Helvio, what is it about? How many marks of ten would you give it?

April, sadly there are people who deform children to use them for begging. It's very tragic.
    How many of these 'top 250' movies have you seen? (I scored 148 - I scored poorly on cartoons and Charlie Chaplin!).

http://www.listchallenges.com/imdb-top-250?ref=share
    Marianne, it is about as American captain who have your ship taken by Somali pirates, it is based in real facts and I gave 8.5/10 to it.
    I scored only 72 Marianne, but there are some films which I'm not sure whether I've seen it or not.
    "Smart, powerfully acted, and incredibly intense", according to Rotten Tomatoes and it stars Tom Hanks - I'm trying to download it now!
    You'll enjoy. :)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 1,991 mod
    I scored 197!! But then I have a few years on most of you! :))
    JFK

I don't see JFK from Oliver Stone in the list I think.
    I watched the film a week ago. It's fifty years ago that JFK is assassinated as you know.
    This is actually the first film about Kennedy that impresses me.
    Okay, it's more about the investigation actually and I wonder if it's dramatised or it's a true story, but it was so real and I wasn't bored at all whilst watching it for three hours.
    Has anybody seen the film?
    I scored 128, I think it good.
    Wow Amatsu! I'm impressed. JFK was a good movie April. I haven't looked at the Rotten Tomatoes list, so I don't know if it's included there.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 8,490 mod
    Wow! Some very respectable scores here.

I saw JFK a few years ago, and yes, it was well made and Kevin Costner gave a good performance. I guess they couldn't include all the films ever made.

------------------

@Helvio - ... it is about as American captain who has his ship captured by Somali pirates.

@April - As you probably know, JFK was assassinated 50 years ago.

I watched a very nice movie a couple of nights ago. It was the restored 1937 classic 'Lost Horizon'. In restoring the movies, they discovered that 7 minutes of the original film had been lost however and so in a few places for a few minutes they had to substitute the moving with still pictures. The soundtrack was fine though.

In the film, Hilton's story was slightly adapted but was still pretty faithful to the book. I was bemused to see a miniature Art Deco version of the Potala as the palace in the utopia of Shangri-La. Very 1930s!
    @Mheredge
    I love "Lost Horizon"! I dreamt about visiting Shangri-La after watching the film for the first time; a long time ago.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Teacher Posts: 1,991 mod
    That brings back memories @April! I loved that film! Funnily enough, talking about old movies, I am sitting here catching up (I drove back to Hartlepool again today!!) watching Gone with the wind! :)
    Oh Scarlet O'Hara! =D>
    Another old one I watched on TV last weekend was Suspicion with Cary Grant.
    He was famous for his cleft, right?
    I have to admit I don't think I've seen Gone with Wind. That's one to add to the list to see.

Cary Grant, James Stewart, Clark Gable, Rock Hudson and my favourite, Gregory Peck - weren't they terrific!