Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Travel talk

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 31,553 mod
edited November 2013 in Countries and Travel
Do you have any exciting adventures you can share? Have you been anywhere interesting or unusual? What do you like to do when you have holiday? Do you prefer to travel alone or with friends or family?

Post edited by Teach on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,553 mod
    To kick off, I prefer travelling alone and with as little planned as possible. I guess this is only possible when you have enough time, but it means if I like a place I'll stay longer, or move on if I don't.

Where do I like travelling? Well practically anywhere though I suppose I have a penchant for Asia. Nowadays there are very few places where English isn't spoken, so this means that language is rarely a problem anywhere.

At the moment I'm travelling in India and in the last week have been exploring Rajasthan.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    Hi Marianne,
    Congratulation for your courage to travel alone through the world.
    I don't use to travel to much and when I travel I use to go to my parents house, my father lives in Itumbiara and my mother lives in Caldas Novas both cities are in Goyas state, sometimes I also use to visit my uncles.
    In some weekends my wife, sons and I go to waterfalls next to Brazilia, not more than 200km, there are a beautiful landscape and a very cold water. :D
    Brazil is a very big country though. I spent nearly a month travelling there bu only saw a small part. I was very glad of an air pass that gave me four flights to get around (Sao Paulo-Manaus, Belem-Salvador, Salvador-Rio de Janerio). I didn't have time to use the last flight as the pass only lasted three weeks.
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    Do you do Manaus-Belém by boat?
    I want to do this once at least.
    Yes, in a couple of stages. It was brilliant. I slung my hammock for the first half of the journey and took a berth in a cabin for the second part to Belem. The captain of the boat explained to me the radar that they use. The river up by Belem is very wide but is also very busy with boats going all over the place.
    Travel by train can sometimes be risky.

http://travelledwriters.com/mheredge/stolen-from-under-my-feet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    I travel 2 or 3 times a year to the north of Iran where there is The Caspian Sea or Mazandaran Sea. I prefer to be there with my family (my husband and my children) and my father and mother who are old and fragile . since when I was an employee they helped me so much to raise my children.
    I've just spent a fantastic few days in India's Inner Line restricted area, in northen Ladakh. Going up near Padong Lake with a German lady, we went in search of nomads who live in this area. Then the past two days were spent in the Nubra Valley, visiting some old monasteries with a couple of Spanish engineers. I made the most of my Inner Line permit, as both these areas are close to the Chinese border, which is a very sensitive area. I'm now back in Leh and will attend some teachings by the Dalai Lama that are scheduled for the next three days.
  • glor1sglor1s Posts: 1
    Hi everybody!! My name is Gloria and I come from Italy,I'm 24 years old and I love travelling but not alone. There could be many motives to travel that include pleasure, discovery and exploration, getting to know other cultures and for building interpersonal relationship, but for any reason I think it's better to travel with someone else and for someone else I mean someone who you know very well, of course!
    Personally, I like travelling because I love discovering new places and meeting new people, I believe it's one of the best way to enrich our "cultural baggage".
    Well said @glor1s‌ and welcome to the Forum. I tend to prefer travelling solo as I find that it's much easier to meet locals and also I can be totally selfish about what I do and where I go without upsetting anyone or having to compromise!
  • fewrnafewrna Posts: 139 ✭✭
    @mheredge‌ My great last travel was to Paris with all my grade. Was exciting, especially when some women tried to steal my money near the Eiffel Tower xd. But, in general, was interesting and cool. The best moment, was when my best friend and me went to a french restaurant and tried to speak to the waiter. I knew the basic french to speak with him, but was funny to listen to my friend speaking some unintelligible language that wasn't french nor spanish (we're spanish). Also, we had a light "conversation" with some french adults that where on another table next to ours. I think that they only laughed at us xd. A hilarious experience!

Mheredge, have you gone to Spain ever?
  • claudiettaclaudietta Posts: 3
    hello everybody! I like travelling very much, with few people with me or just with my boyfriend, because I think that it is important to share the same way or idea of the travel, I mean it is important to have the same time, to adapt to any new situation and that is not alway easy with many people
  • Woa. Let's discovery Vietnam, my homeland. if you go to Hanoi then visit Ho Guom lake and old town, in there have very color of life, includes culture and good foods. price of foods and hotels, taxi very cheap, and you should try drink egg caffe(about 3$ USD), eat pho(about 1.5 $ USD), eat mixed bread outside street( about 1.5 $ USD). if who don't know then contact with me. i will say for you know where you want to discovery in Hanoi
    (my email is tienquynhvtq@gmail.com)
    I liked Hanoi very much @QuynhVN‌ and the food, especially on the street.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,794 mod
    I love Japan. I want to share this link about my journey there :)

http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/3487/my-japan-journey/p1
This discussion has been closed.