Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

War on plastic

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 31,042 mod
Have you seen any stories on the war on plastic?

I saw this one about how the NHS is going back to using china cups and saucers rather than plastic cups.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/11/nhs-returns-china-cups-saucers-war-disposable-cups/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge This video of a diver swimming through a staggering amount of plastic has knocked me sideways. I'm glad to know that NHS is trying to make a difference.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,698 mod
    I think it is great that the NHS are doing that, as there is far too much plastic waste. Everyone should try to cut back on the amount that they are using.
    @GemmaRowlands I don't buy plastic bags from a supermarket and bring mine every time I go shopping, which has taken a lot of wear and tear already.
    Vok said:

@GemmaRowlands I don't buy plastic bags from a supermarket and bring mine every time I go shopping, which has taken a lot of wear and tear already.

Yes, I do the same. I will buy one occasionally, as mine do sometimes tear, but they last for a long time.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,042 mod
    I take cloth bags with me as spare bags when I go shopping. I sometimes have a few plastic bags, but just to wrap wet or cold things.
    Apparently Australia is undergoing a plastic crisis at the moment. The most remote parts of Australia that supposed to be pristine and crystal clean are badly effected too. Plastic is ubiquitous. The impingement on wildlife is yet to be determined but one thing is certain already, it's high time we were more careful with the usage of plastic.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/16/plastic-is-literally-everywhere-the-epidemic-attacking-australias-oceans
    I think everywhere is starting to realise how serious the plastic problem is @Vok.
    Just to give you the idea of how much plastic each of us use per year here is a good article on that. Although I don't think I use that much, I'm dumbfounded by the amount to be frank with you. Having seen such a staggering amount of the plastic waste produced by one person you can't help it but wanting to cut down on your consumption. Indeed it's easier to take in the scale of the problem when it's shown on the example of one consumer rather than get you head around a vague amount of plastic waste expressed in hundreds of tons.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/17/i-kept-all-my-plastic-year-4490-items-forced-rethink
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    Isn't plastic recycled? I think it gets shredded and reused e.g. for making insulation.
    @Practical_Severard I suppose they can't keep up with the amount of plastic waiting to be recycled.
    Incidentally, only 56 items from 4490 collected by this guy from the article I shared above turned out to be made from recycled material.
    Nowadays more plastic is being recycled but I think this is only a more recent development. I don't think I am aware of much that is recycled plastic in France. In Nepal they are only starting to recycle it as before they didn't have the means to do it and used to send it to India. I have seen plastic waste being made into plastic water containers in Chitwan, an area of Nepal where they have quite a lot of waste not only from local people but tourists too.
    mheredge said:

I take cloth bags with me as spare bags when I go shopping. I sometimes have a few plastic bags, but just to wrap wet or cold things.

I have cloth bags too but I do carry some plastic bags to put raw meat in, as I like to throw those bags away afterwards.. even though I'm sure the meat was safely in its packet.
    Yes it's always useful to have a plastic bag to wrap stuff that might leak and make a mess. In particular I like to make sure I don't have any accidents with yoghurt @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

Yes it's always useful to have a plastic bag to wrap stuff that might leak and make a mess. In particular I like to make sure I don't have any accidents with yoghurt @GemmaRowlands.

Yeah I have had a few "exploding" yoghurts before now! I am quite picky when it comes to food hygiene, so I always have to make sure that everything is stored and transported in the best possible way.
    I was too efficient in refusing plastic bags so now we have a few things to take back with us, I've had to be quite inventive with using the bits of paper and foil to wrap things. Most of the things I have are in glass bottles or jars, which is okay except for the weight! I use jars at home a lot all the time.