Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Mid life crisis anyone?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 31,139 mod
"I think I am perpetually in a midlife crisis,” is the observation of Paul, 52.

'Midlife' is an elastic concept, as it probably depends on the person when this happens. (I can identify with Paul, having had what might be seen as a midlife crisis since aged 30!)

Have you ever suddenly decided to change direction? Or are you doubting what and where you are at your particular stage in life? These are possible symptoms of this too common phenomena!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2018/apr/05/the-great-british-tv-chefs-rotating-midlife-crisis?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=270286&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,749 mod
    I think there are three crisis stages in life -

Quarter life (where we question our direction, and whether we have done the right thing, usually at the beginning of our career)

Mid life (usually around 50, with a decade or so before retirement, being confused about what we have achieved, and whether it was all we hoped)

End life (usually at the age of 70/80 where we look back at life and see whether we are fulfilled, and if there is anything we could have done better).

I am certain that I have had a quarter life crisis. But I think I am more settled and out of it now.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,123 mod
    @mheredge I dare to say I had a midlife crisis, it was around the millenium time, a few children left the house, my first grandaughter was born, and I lost meself because I thought; "What have I reached in life, did I well? At the time, I even changed my looks (haircut and clothes)and I wanted more, and I did an exam to become the headmaster at my school and I succeeded. I am very lucky now as a retired lady and I still hope to be able to accomplish much for all people I love.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,139 mod
    I never thought of it as a quarter life crisis @GemmaRowlands, though this is a really good way to describe it. Maybe I had a few of these!

@Paulette I wouldn't call it a midlife crisis when at 43 I quit the UK, but more an escape to freedom!
  • VokVok Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    Probably I'm still young to have a middle-age crisis, but I sometimes question myself whether the path chosen is the right one and maybe I should do something different, more meaningful. Then I think that there's no guarantee that I won't think the same way once a different path taken. Let the cobbler stick to his last.
    Don't worry @Vok, you're definitely not missing out if you haven't yet had your midlife crisis yet.
    mheredge said:

I never thought of it as a quarter life crisis @GemmaRowlands, though this is a really good way to describe it. Maybe I had a few of these!

@Paulette I wouldn't call it a midlife crisis when at 43 I quit the UK, but more an escape to freedom!

Yes, I have read articles about it, and it would seem that the quarter life crisis really is a thing that a lot of people go through!
    I think I have had quarter, third, mid life and countless other crises truth be known @GemmaRowlands - from changing career at 25, and again at 30; from changing life in the county to central London; to changing country and direction again and again.... In fact life might be rather boring without change.
    mheredge said:

I think I have had quarter, third, mid life and countless other crises truth be known @GemmaRowlands - from changing career at 25, and again at 30; from changing life in the county to central London; to changing country and direction again and again.... In fact life might be rather boring without change.

Yes I agree with you there - but there are many (myself included) who find change rather unsettling, even though it is certainly for the best in the long term.
    I agree change can be a bit scary, but when the status quo isn't that wonderful, then this makes doing something different more appealing @GemmaRowlands. And sometimes the temporary works out to be so good that it becomes long term!
    mheredge said:

I agree change can be a bit scary, but when the status quo isn't that wonderful, then this makes doing something different more appealing @GemmaRowlands. And sometimes the temporary works out to be so good that it becomes long term!

Yes that is very true. I know that there is a big change that I need to make in my life at the moment; I just need to be brave enough to do it.
    Go for it @GemmaRowlands!