Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Entropy!!!

navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
Think of this situation:
You are crossing a street and when you see that light is red, you stop!
Entropy of the whole universe always increases and that means things get more random. So, when you stand in a specific place something messy should happen somewhere to keep the entropy increasing.
Based on what I said, do you think obeying the rules make the world a better place or no matter how hard we try, someone else do its part to make the world more messy place?!
Tagged:

Comments

• navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette , please ask your husband about this! I really like to know his opinion as you said he is into science and physics.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,042 mod
    I have to say that I loved my short stay in Singapore where people follow rules like no jaywalking, no litter, waiting for people to get out of the metro trains. It makes life much easier when basic rules are followed rather than the disorderly rugby scrum that getting in or out the Tube or Indian metro involves!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,001 mod
    @navidafrasiabian my husband is mainly engaged in entropy as a mathematician, namely in transforming energy into all its forms. He mainly studies the stability problems related to the effects of heat and cold and the materials used in the right proportions depending on the purpose of a building to be built at a specific location in a particular area. He must ensure that no chaos can arise when the buildings are finished. He must therefore follow many rules of laws of nature in order to obtain a safe result.
  • navidafrasiabiannavidafrasiabian Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear @mheredge , now think that their behaviour is the reason of some chaos in Africa. What is your opinion?!
    You might have a point @navidafrasiabian. Living within the rules does make it easier for things to progress in a more orderly fashion.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,790 mod
    Oh, when I saw this word, "Entropy", it made me reminisce of my Thermodynamics subject (one of my hatest subject). LOL. :lol:
    I thought 'entropy' was a medical term @kindgnice!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,790 mod
    Oh nope, it is mostly used in one of the Engineering subjects (which I hate), and that's Thermodynamics. :lol: @mheredge
    I recall fellow students at Manchester where I was studying telling me that thermodynamics was the least liked subject on their course @kindgnice.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,001 mod
    I think my husband is then an odd man out because thermodynamics was his favourite course at college @mheredge
    Really @Paulette?! The students I remember talking to about how much they hated the subject said that they were very easily distracted during the lectures and used to think of anything other than the subject they were supposed to be listening to.