Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Difficulties while learning English

Hello everybody

For my thesis, I am investigating the difficulties people encounter while learning English as a second/foreign language. Please all react with your difficulties and your native language so I can list this up.

Thanks in advance.

Brent

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,042 mod
    Although a native speaker myself, I know the toughest problem for many is not being able to practice (particularly speaking) if English is not spoken in their place of work or elsewhere. I always suggest watching movies to get used to listening to English being spoken.
  • BrentDeBondtORCBrentDeBondtORC Posts: 8
    @mheredge What problems do you see a lot as a native speaker? I already make note of the lack of being able to practise...
    In most Asian countries the students never hear English being spoken as the teachers just teach from the books, reading and writing @BrentDeBondtORC. I have had Chinese students with an impressive vocabulary, good knowledge of grammar but very poor speaking skills. A lot is confidence and also because they have problems with pronunciation, they are afraid no one will understand them when they do dare to open their mouths. However when I have been in China and tell them 'I'm an English teacher,' they usually lose their shyness and can communicate well. It took me a while to understand their accent though.

Also when I have gone into classrooms in Nepal, the children can't follow English from native speakers, as they only really understand English spoken with a Nepali accent! (But usually I think it is because they haven't heard much English being spoken).
  • danrogdanrog Posts: 17 ✭✭
    The education system tries to teach you a language like it was a code. Like you have to translate word by word and thats it. I think this misconception made me lost a lot of time when i start learning
  • UdaykiranUdaykiran Posts: 5
    Here in asian countries, almost every school is english medium but no one speaks english, only books and tests are in english. with out speaking we can't increase our fluency this is one of the major draw back in our countrys,
  • zizozizo Posts: 3
    in my opinion i think that learn english is the best choice to do because english can open lot of ways in front and give you more chances to be with whole world so spend time and be sure to increase the level in english need time good luck
    This is a problem I have seen in Asian countries @Udaykiran. Often the teachers themselves can hardly speak English.