Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Internet worship or curse?

mustafatajanimustafatajani Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited March 19 in Technology and Games
I have seen many debate on this topic lets see what our forum member thinks.
According to me if a person knows how to use it for good purpose then it is very helpful but where there is good there is bad so we need to watch out for that.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,042 mod
    This is a very good topic @mustafatajani. Like you say, it can be extremely useful but at the same time, it can waste time, almost like an addiction and take over our lives.

Like with everything else, it is good in moderation.
  • mustafatajanimustafatajani Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @ I agree with you I have a younger brother he is addicted to instagram alot and internet tooo . I am worried about him :( :(
  • VokVok Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    It depends on the way you use the Internet @mustafatajani . If you spend hours and hours scrolling through celebrities' instagram or playing meaningful online games, it won't do you good. However if you study and the Internet is mainly the source of your knowledge, provided that you pick and choose content wisely, then yes it's godsend for you.
    Meaningful or meaningless games @Vok?

Mind-numbingly meaningless @mheredge
    @Vok Yes but today all are paralysed by internet they do not read information books they just google it and we all know that all things mentioned are not complete 100% tue unlike books. And also I have heard about rehabilitation for excessive use of mobile and internet. How do you suggest to coupe with this?
    @mheredge I will see the link
    I got caught the other day watching Jamie Oliver's youtube videos on how cooking techniques. Whilst I did actually learn a few useful tips, I also felt I'd wasted my time a bit @mustafatajani and @Vok.
    @mustafatajani I agree with you that the Internet addiction is the problem and as any other types of addiction should be treated too. The problem is that if one admits that they're too obsessed with the Internet, chance would be a fine thing to find any professional help. Until the Internet addiction is recognized as an illness it's down to an affected person to overcome such an adversity. Firstly, admitting is the most important step towards a recovery. Once it's acknowledged you can start with making small changes into your habit with the Internet. By reducing the time spend online gradually you'll see that there's so much time left for something else. For example taking up some sport or any other activity can be a healthy solution.
    @Vok and @mustafatajani there are also so many dangers associated with how persuasive social media is and how it can distort politics. This story is just one of many examples of how Facebook has been implicated in all sorts of shady dealings by influencing politics not just in the US elections but now also in the Brexit referendum.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/24/facebook-week-of-shame-data-breach-observer-revelations-zuckerberg-silence?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=268846&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

@Vok I absolutely agree with you . You said right any solution to problem is first identifying the problem , be it addiction also. I'll try to convey my brother this message.
    @mheredge yup recently youtube have proved very essential , if you don't know something type it and you will get the result.I have personally experienced it
    @mheredge you are social media is powerful now a days , many presidents are selected on their social media power . people don't cross check whether the post is true or not.
    People need to get into the habit of checking and not believing so easily what they are told @mustafatajani.
    @mheredge you are correct . awareness among people is necessary
    @mheredge @mustafatajani For all my trying not to fall for everything I read hook, line and sinker, I've noticed that sometimes I tend to believe what I want to believe at the moment. It's hard to stay impartial all the time.
    I recall chatting with a young Russian guy about all the misinformation (lies) surroounding the Brexit referendum and he pointed out that Russians never believe what they hear. I think they are a lot more cynical than Brits who are lambs to the slaughter @Vok.
    @Vok I agree with you