Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Milllennials

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 31,042 mod
Does anyone even know what a millennial is any more? Precise definitions differ, but in general millennials are those people born between the early 1980s and the late 1990s. They are so called because they turned 18 in or after 2000. They are also collectively known as Generation Y

The author of this article was born in 1989 ("yes, yes, I am peak millennial, I came out of the womb holding an avocado trying to get a discount on a train ticket").

So what are millennials? Apparently, they have killed democracy, marmalade, and now recycling. Can anyone else smell a lazy stereotype?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/16/millennials-killed-democracy-marmalade-recycling-lazy-stereotype?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Opinion+UK+connected&utm_term=267784&subid=11006640&CMP=ema_opinionconnectuk

Are you a millennial? (I'm a baby boomer apparently). What do you think it means to be a millennial? Is being a millennial different depending the country you live in?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,698 mod
    I never really know exactly what the definition of a millennial is, but I do know that I fit right into the category. As far as I can see, all that happens is that we get blamed for things that go wrong!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,042 mod
    Oh no, that's not fair @GemmaRowlands. I would have thought it's the older generation who have set a bad example. And let's not talk about Brexit...
  • VokVok Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    I'm falling into this category too @GemmaRowlands @mheredge . I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but judging how we millennials are being portrayed in the media, one may come to the conclusion that it's the latter. As for the article, I think it's a glib generalization to blame people born during a certain period of time for killing the world. We all were born to different backgrounds and can't have the same predisposition to recycle for example. What do you think?
    I agree that no one is really to blame - or perhaps we all are in our different ways @Vok. It certainly seems unfair to me though, that the younger generations have to repair the damage done by us older generation.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭
    I don't stand for tag a people. I was born in period which is describes in an article. Maybe, I have some features that characterized a 'millennials', especially it concrens a waste segregation (my wife fights with my weakness and educate me in this field). But in my opinion each is a collection of individual character traits.
    Vok said:

I'm falling into this category too @GemmaRowlands @mheredge . I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but judging how we millennials are being portrayed in the media, one may come to the conclusion that it's the latter. As for the article, I think it's a glib generalization to blame people born during a certain period of time for killing the world. We all were born to different backgrounds and can't have the same predisposition to recycle for example. What do you think?

I think the problem is that everyone just blames everyone else, and then there is nobody who will really do anything to solve any of the problems at all.
    Good for your wife @nomad81. It is so easy to segregate waste.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I know, sometimes I am lazy.
    Tsk tsk @nomad81! I hope your wife raps you on the knuckles and tells you what for when you are being lazy.
  • VokVok Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    @nomad81 there's nothing wrong with being sometimes lazy, unless you let your chores pile up. I prefer to do the washing-up then and there lest I remember that I haven't done it at the time of going to bed.
    I am lazy and sometimes I do let the chores pile up. As I have put my flat up for sale however, I have to make sure I leave it tidy and spick and span at all times, just in case someone comes to see it!
    Vok said:

@nomad81 there's nothing wrong with being sometimes lazy, unless you let your chores pile up. I prefer to do the washing-up then and there lest I remember that I haven't done it at the time of going to bed.

I try not to let things pile up if I can, because it is very hard to get on top of things again if you let that happen.
    I blitzed tidying up over the weekend @GemmaRowlands so I know what you mean. I hope now I can just keep on top of things and that way it won't be a chore.