Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Snow! Don't come to school

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 31,599 mod
A headteacher tells the children not to come to school!

Tagged:

Comments

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    This headmaster is obviously a gifted man. The photography and the sound editing are also great, if they are an amateur's work, they're just marvellous. Though a bit of snow as a reason to skip school and it's by a headmaster, hm...

A couple of weeks ago in the Russian republic of Yakutia (which is the coldest place in the Northern hemisphere) some younger children were allowed to skip school and they were found later playing outside. When asked why they were doing that they said that they were allowed to not go to school, not banned from going to the street.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,571 mod
    edited February 28
    Maybe the reason is that the school won't have the responsibity for a lot of children, while there were not enough adults (teachers) at school because they couldn't come?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,929 mod
    A lot of schools in the UK have been closed today because of the snow. None in my area, but many hilly areas have a lot of school closures this morning.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,599 mod
    My sentiments entirely @Practical_Severard! Any excuse for skipping school!! I suppose in the countryside if the roads are blocked with deep snow, the precious little darlings might not be able to get to school, but in towns?
    > @mheredge said:
    > My sentiments entirely @Practical_Severard! Any excuse for skipping school!! I suppose in the countryside if the roads are blocked with deep snow, the precious little darlings might not be able to get to school, but in towns?

I guess the parents were not happy. I saw a similar situation in the British TV series 'Doc Martin' when the school could have been closed due to an outbreak of an infectuous decease. The parents were struggling to accept this because they had noone to be at home with the children.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,878 mod
    edited February 28
    Great find @mheredge . They are calling this weather front, "The Beast from the East". LOL
  • VokVok Posts: 638 ✭✭✭
    @Lynne Sounds like a new 'Iron Maiden' album to me. 'The Beast from the East'
    edited March 1
    Having read some articles on the British snowing, I wonder why the motorists don't use winter (aka cold weather) tyres? They're good up to +7C, so it's not really a single week per year you can have them on. Yes, it's expenses, but a double mileage also. But the owner is much safer on the road.

The only drawback is that the tyres aren't designed to reduce the hydroplaning risk. Is it a problem on the British roads in winter?

And winter tyres don't equal studded tyres. The differences are that they're made of softer rubber and the tread pattern differs.
    edited March 1
    We had -18C this morning with a wind. I walked 4 km to work and was feeling cold at some moments. I couldn't have worn insulated trousers because changing in the office would have been too difficult.

A colleague badly fell last night and has phoned he is waiting in a queue at a municipal trauma practice.
    edited March 1
    Total chaos in the UK yesterday @Practical_Severard. The snow seems to be staying put now and I have a big drift the slid down the roof to half cover my skylight. Tomorrow's temperature looks set to bounce up to abpout 13 degrees though, so I think all the snow will melt soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/28/red-alert-as-extreme-weather-claims-life-of-man-in-freezing-water?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=265861&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

These headlines sum it up quite well: 'UK totally unprepared for snow for 10483th winter running.'

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/uk-completely-unprepared-for-snow-for-10438th-winter-running-20161118117393
    Post edited by mheredge on
    edited March 1
    @Lynne, you have to laugh...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/heavy-snowfall-uk-roads-trains-flights_uk_5a950733e4b02cb368c53a31

Yesterday it was announced that more than 200 trains were being cancelled in the East of England due to the weather warnings.

But this morning many resented the fact that their journeys were facing disruption, considering the relatively low snowfall.

> @mheredge said:
    > @Lynne, you have to laugh...

> But this morning many resented the fact that their journeys were facing disruption, considering the relatively low snowfall.

Cleaning railway tracks:

I don't think the UK have any snow ploughs like this @Practical_Severard. They get snow every year but are never prepared for it.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/britons-prepare-for-cold-snap-by-already-having-coats-and-houses-20180226144980
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,929 mod
    Lynne said:

Great find @mheredge . They are calling this weather front, "The Beast from the East". LOL

Apparently "Storm Emma" is on the way. That is the name of my friend's daughter, who is very fiery, so we are having a lot of jokes about the name of the storm.
    You have to love some people's resourcefulness!

• sammanisammani Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    I wish I had a snowing period when I heard the schools are closed due to snowing. :/

---------------------

I wish I could experience weather like this, and hear the schools were closed because it was snowing.
    Post edited by Teach on
    I hear it is snowing again today in mid-Wales.
    I heard that the snowing area people of california have to face lots of problem because of snowing.I saw some snowing scenes through the television.all the streets were covered by snow.
    For most areas of California, I guess snow is as much of a surprise as it was here in Nice @sammani. But a few weeks ago @mouna shared some pictures of snow in the desert in Algeria. I don't think it lasted long though. In Nice it was all over after a couple of days. But it hasn't really stopped raining since.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/901733/Sahara-Desert-snow-Ain-Sefra-Algeria-pictures-photos
    @mheredge,however I always imagine the beauty side of snow until I experience the snowing. :)
    It looks pretty but I hate having to move around in the stuff @sammani. I remember one time trying to hike through some snow which came to above my knees every step. It was exhausting, not to mention very cold and very wet!
  • VokVok Posts: 638 ✭✭✭
    I like when it's snowing heavilly outside and I'm comfortably ensconced beside a window inside @mheredge @sammani
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge @sammani @Vok

It’ll be nice for me to play around for some time in snow, especially if it’s up to my knees! I’d love to play in such lots of snow. But if it’s not about playing, I’d rather stay inside and have a hot cup of hot chocolate.
    @mheredge,that means snow is a touble more than a hevay meaning.when you talk about snow it is like how I describe heavy rains.but anyway I like snow. :)
    @takafromtokyo,that is how I imagine since childhood. :D
    > @mheredge said:
    > It looks pretty but I hate having to move around in the stuff @sammani. I remember one time trying to hike through some snow which came to above my knees every step. It was exhausting, not to mention very cold and very wet!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vyBuQFjzdTM/maxresdefault.jpg
    Yes they are very practical but since it doesn't snow much in Nice, I'm not so sure I'd get that much use out of them @Practical_Severard. I had fun one time trying out snow-shoeing.

> @mheredge said:
    > Yes they are very practical but since it doesn't snow much in Nice, I'm not so sure I'd get that much use out of them @Practical_Severard. I had fun one time trying out snow-shoeing.

Skiing is better: it's more natural and legs don't ache. In Russia hunting skis sometimes have a patch of fur hide attached to the working side. It allows skiing uphill, since the hairs bristle in one direction while get brushed in the opposite.
    I tried a couple of lessons in cross country skiing @Practical_Severard, as much to try to unlearn downhill skiing than anything. I found it very difficult to stop and going up again! I was exhausted by the end of the hour.