Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Am I old?

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
I was born in 1985, which means I am 33 or 34 years old now, but my future is my first concern, which perplexes me very much, because I do not know what can I do when I am back to China in the near future. Now I am wondering to take part in the postgraduate examination of 2020, but lots of people persuade me to give it up because it will take me at least one and a half year for the preparation and another three years to study in the university again, after that, I have to continue to study for the doctor degress which will cost at least four years, if everything goes smoothly. Then if I am lucky enough, I can get a job in one of universities of China as a teacher.

Do you think I should do this ?

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,749 mod
    Well firstly no, you are not old. If you would like to study for a new career then there is no age limit on that. It is better to have a career that you love for a shorter time than it is to stay in a job you don't really like forever just because you thought it was too late to start.

Follow your dreams!
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should say : better than never.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,139 mod
    You should do it if this is what interests you@lisa. I say you're never too old - in fact you're a youngster. I changed my life when I was 43 and never looked back. Go for it!
    Unfortunately I have to give it up because of my age, can you imagine? There is strict age limitation in China, I felt very distress when I saw the ads for recruitment of some Chinese universities. Most of them ask people who have doctor degrees to be younger than 36 years old. It is impossible for me, because I have been 33 years old now. @mheredge
    Is it not possible to start before you reach 36 @lisa?
    I must take part in the examination of post-graduate erollment, if I was lucky enough to be erolled by one univeristy, after at least 2.5 years' study in the university I have the ability to take part in the examination of doctor degree. @mheredge The problem is not only my age but also tutors of post-graduate degrees are reluctant to tutor students whose ages are old. I have to work very very hard to meet the demands of the tutors as well as taking care of my familes.
    Full-time study like this can be a big burden if you have a family @lisa. I have a friend who had a well-paid job but was the only breadwinner while her husband was studying for a PhD. They had two children and my friend felt bad that she was not always there for them.
    I have to give up this thought, because 7 years is a long time and there are lots of uncertainties in this long period. Life is tough nowadays, that is the only sentence I can say. @mheredge My husband maybe can affrod the cost of the whole family, but parents of both sides are old and helpless as the time going.
    Yes seven years is a long time. I thought you were just talking about three years for a higher degree @lisa.
    So I have changed my targets, the first target of mine now is to earn money as much as possible. @mheredge My purpose is that my daughter has enough financial support in the future when she wants to make some fatal decisions.
    I hope your daughter won't make any fatal decisions @lisa, as this means she will do something to kill herself! I think you mean 'life-changing' or even big decisions.
    Yes, big decisions instead of fatal one. Thanks for your correction. @mheredge