Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Have you suffered any ostracism or bullyings when you were in the school?

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
Today I recalled two words, one is "ostracize" and another one is "bullying", those two words remind me one topic - school bullying. School bullying has been increasingly reported in China in recent years, ostracism is better compared with bullying, and there are even body hurt or deaths in those reported events. Have you suffered any ostracism or bullyings when you were in the school, and how did you deal with it? I am quite sure that school bullyings will leave harsh effects on students' following lives, because there were several night I was in the nightmare in which I was ostracized by other students, and I felt like that I was an outcast in my dream.

Comments

• XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lisa, well, I was rather plump as a child and a good pupil in addition. I remember a dance course: some classmates laughed at me because I had dared to dance at all. Finally I gave up because I didn't have a partner. It is a pity because I really like waltz etc.
    Sadly, I neglected physical exercises for years.
    Now I am slim and I do gymnastics regularly but I still slouch.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    @Xanthippe School bullying I mentioned is more rigious than what you said above, what I want to discuss is some actual hurts such as beating, being laughted on purpose, and so on.
  • XanthippeXanthippe Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lisa, I see. Indeed it wasn't that drastic but certainly unpleasant.
    China does not have any laws about school bullyings, but the school bullyings are increasingly reported in recent years, we are looking forward to a new law about this issue. @Xanthippe
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,042 mod
    Sometimes bullying at school can be very nasty @lisa. A classmate and her older brothers used to try to bully me and my younger sister as we walked home from school past the bus stop where they were waiting for their bus home. I told my mother who reported them to the school and then although they used to scowl at us when we walked past, they didn't say anything again.
    You were lucky because your school palyed its role on this issue as your mother's report, but the teachers accompanied with the students who did bullyings on other students, one of my teachers did what I mentioned above because the sisters were good at studying as well as doing bullyings. I rememberd clearly, one of my classmates had to leave our class when we finished the whole seminars, and she studied the same books again. @mheredge I do not like that teacher until now and it is weried that I rememberd her very clearly.
    I think it's important that the school takes the initiative to stamp out bullying @lisa.
    Most of Chinese schools or teachers do not pay enough attentions to school bullyings, in my opinion, especially the schools in rural areas or urben ones, although there are increasingly news reports. Anyway, this is a signal that indicates government has began to realize this issue, I hope. @mheredge Law is important, but teachers and schools are the focal factors in the whole process, because students have to spend most of their time in school compared with other places.
    I think this is the same everywhere and it is a serious problem @lisa.
    I hope all teahcers should be able to pay enough attention to scores of students as well as their physical health. In my opinioin, the salaries of teachers should be increased in China, their salaries are low at the moment, which makes them more likely to pay more attention to the scores of the students. @mheredge