Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How much income tax you need to pay per year in your country?

lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
Hi guys, let's discuss one question which realtes closely to our common life, how much income tax you need to pay per year in your country?

In China, the more your salary is the more you have to pay to the government. My husband should pay more 2000 RMB than me this year, we are not sure about next year how much we need to pay.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    I think it's bad you don't know what you might be expected to pay next year @lisa, but usually the rates of tax don't change much and people have a good idea that they will be paying away 25% or a third of their income in tax (in the UK and if they're not higher rate tax payers). I think it's fair the more a person earns, the more they should pay. I don't think poor people should pay so much tax, especially if they then need help with paying for their rent or other costs. In the UK the cost of childcare and taxes can mean unless the mother gets a reasonable income, it's not worthwhile working.
  • lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    There was a change about tax last year, and it has been restricted from then on about paying income tax. Disabled are took care of by the government, and they and the employers of them can pay less tax in China. The basic level, from which people should pay income tax, of people who work abroad is higher than people who work in China mainland, for example, my salary is 10 000 RMB per month, and I should pay income tax based on 5000 RMB, but my classmate who work in Beijing has the same salary with me should pay income tax based on 7000 or 6000 RMB. @mheredge
    This sounds odd @lisa.

Often people who work abroad, as long as they keep the money out of the country they normally pay taxes, avoid paying tax. This is why so many people go to work in the Middle Eastern countries. However as soon as the money is repatriated then they are liable to tax on it. This might explain why so many ex-pats chose not to return home.
    Unfortunately our salaries are paid in China :'( , so we must pay income tax. @mheredge Chinese prefer to be back to China maybe because our food is attractive. :p
    Haha maybe it's the food in the UK that keeps me from wanting to return @lisa.
    Then welcome to China,hahaha @mheredge
    The food is nice in China, though I prefer spicier food like from Thailand @lisa. I do however love the subtle flavours of herbs that French cuisine favours.
    There is a branch of our company in Thailand, and some former colleagues have been sent there, they told me that they do not like the food of Thailand, maybe because most of them are from Northern areas of China, the food from Thailand is similar to the flvours from Sourthern areas of China as I was told, but the sea food from Thailand is fabulous. @mheredge
    Thai food is very spice @lisa, which is probably why your northern Chinese colleagues didn't like it (it is one of my favourites). I think anyone from Sichuan would appreciate it though.
    I have never tried Thai food until now, but I will try it in the future, I think. People from Sichuan prefers peppers and sichuanese peppercorn which is very tasteful, but they are less drastic than diet from Chongqiong, the food of Chongqiong is full of peppers, and they prefer Chinese hot pot very much, even in summer. @mheredge
    Thai food is really lovely as they use spices in very creative and varied ways. Lemon grass, kaffir leaves, chilli, ginger, coconut milk - these make the food taste amazing.
    edited February 19
    My families and relatives have been enjoying delicious food during Chinese Traditioanl Spring festival, which usually lasts at least 15 days, can you imagine that? They can enjoy all the delicious food during these 15 days, and of course, their weights will be very equal to what they enjoy, haha @mheredge
    Is this the main holiday of the year @lisa? 15 days! In the UK two days for Christmas and Easter weekend are the longest holidays.
    Yes, but they do not have formal jobs, and most of them work for themselves, that is why they can have a so long holiday. For example, my younger brother has his own truck, he does not have any businesses until the 15th of Chinese lunar January, or after that date. Normally, people have three days as a holiday if they work in a company or government office, but usually we work before and after the holiday, so we can enjoy 7 days totally as a holiday. @mheredge
    The biggest problem about being self employed and taking time off @lisa, is that though you can take off as much time as you want without a boss or employer controlling this, you usually are not able to earn any money while you're on holiday. So then the time off becomes very expensive as not only are you paying for your holiday, but you are also not earning money during this time.
    That is why my husband and I are admired by them, but actually we have our own troubles, for example, we are concerned about our salaries, our daughter can not be together with us, and so on. Life is tough for everyone. @mheredge