Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How you spend your traditional holidays?

Hi everyone, now some of my colleagues are discussing where they will celebrate or spend the coming Chinese traditional spring festival, so I want to ask all of you how you spend your traditional holidays? Having a trip to be abroad, or celebrating it with your families? As the development of globalization and the improvement of lives, more and more Chinese choose to spend their holidays to some famous and fantasict countries or places, such as Thailand, Dubai, France and so on.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    The main traditional holiday for most Christian countries is Christmas and families get together or people go away for some holiday. In Hindu countries, Dashain and Tihar (as it's called in Nepal) in the autumn is a major holiday when again, members of the family try to get together to celebrate. Losar, the Tibetan New Year is approaching very soon so again many people in Nepal will be celebrating this.
  • lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Chinese lunar december is a special month for Chinese, not matter where we are and who we are, because this is the last month of the Chinese lunar year. When I was young, my parents began to buy some gifts including candies, nuts, fruits, vegetables and of course new clothes for every member of the families in this month. There are various kinds of delicious food, small gifts and a long holiday in this month, many sweet memories connect with this month. Almost everyone tries their best to be back to home and celebrate Spring festival with families. I have been in Algeria for nearly five years, which means I have spent five Spring festivals in this country with my colleagues instead of with my families, now I am feeling pretty homesick and do not want to do anything. @mheredge
    Are there any other Chinese colleagues working with you who you can celebrate with @lisa? I remember when I was in Nepal at Christmas there were always a few European friends to celebrate with.
    There are lots of Chinese colleagues in our company who will not have any trips and spend three days' holiday in our project. We will celebrate this holiday and make dumplings together. @mheredge But I feel homesick very much, especially miss my daughter very much.
    These times are the worst when you are far away from your loved ones @lisa.
    So I have made a decision to allow myself to have a short, relax holiday which will last about ten days. Without studying, without any new words, just doing something which I expect to do. @mheredge
    Will you travel or just in the place where you're living now @lisa? Sometimes a change of scenery makes for a better break.
    My holiday means I do not not need to study English in my spare time. @mheredge :#
    edited February 10
    I had some girls who were allowed to take a day off for Teej , a women's festival celebrated in Nepal, but who said it gave them time to do extra English study @lisa! They were very dedicated students.
    I am so shy to hear that, because I have played for a few days. :s @mheredge
    Tomorrow is Shivaratri, a Hindu festival. It is a National Holiday in Nepal and celebrated widely in temples all over the country, but especially in the Pashupatinath temple. The Nepalese army will parade around Kathmandu to pay tribute to Lord Shiva, and holy rituals will be performed all over the country. Artists from various classical music and dance forms perform through the night. Married women pray for the well being of their husbands, while unmarried women pray for a husband like Shiva, considered as the ideal husband.

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow, but most of my Nepali friends will be taking the day off.

Nepal is in tropic region, am I right? It is very curious, because it is the neighbour of Tibet, and Tibet is very cold even in the summer, people have to wear thick clothes in the morning. I met one British couple in the train in 2015, they came from Nepal because the husband works as a doctor of Borderless organization. There was an horrible earthquake in Nepal in 2015, they went there to help local people and back to Uk through Tibet. @mheredge
    Nepal has every type of climate from the very hot, sub-tropical in the south to the icy cold of the highest mountains in the world @lisa. In the north, Upper Mustang has a similar landscape and climate to Tibet as it is on the edge of the Tibetan Plateau. Kathmandu's climate is similar to the Mediterranean climate in terms of temperature though there is no summer monsoon in the south of France!
    The hometown of my husband is very near to Tibet, actually his hometown is the last station next which the train stations belong to Tibet and the train begins to supply oxygen. Tibet is very famous for its natural scenes and landscape, there are numerous people to be there in order to appreciate the marvellous scenes,but its climate is realy hard and a real challenge for them. @mheredge Although our home is very near to Tibet, we have never tried to be there, because it is a bit dangerous.
    Why is it dangerous @lisa? I thought that this area you're talking about is mainly rural, maybe with a few farmers.
    The density of oxygen is much lower than my hometown, and I do not think my health is good enough to have a trip in Tibet. @mheredge The dangerousness refers to the climate instead of area security.
    If you acclimatise and go to the higher altitude gradually @lisa, anyone can go to Tibet. Even people who fly to Lhasa, even if they feel breathless or have a headache are usually fine after a day or two.
    Last year I was attacked by altitude sickness when I was in my husband's home, or I should call it as our another home. I thought I was on the verge of death at that moment, because I could not have a breath freely. @mheredge
    How high is your husband's home @lisa? Did you fly there?