Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Are there any conflicts between doctors and patients in your country?

lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
There is news about one doctor who died suddendly after his 18 hours shiftwork in China, and I read this news just now, what is worse, his child is only five months. Sorry and demoralized news which makes me have a thought, because the divergences between doctors and patients in China are dispirting, and there are lots of denigrations about the hospitals and doctors. Though doctors and nurses, one of my cousin sisters is a nurse, are one of the most hardship jobs in the world, in my opinion. Are there any conflicts or confrontations between doctors and petients in your country?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    In Nepal there are occasionally incidents where the friends and family of a patient who died have attacked the doctor or hospital, blaming them for the death.

In the US it's not unusual for patients to sue doctors if they think there's been any negligence. This is less common in the UK but increasing.

Then on the other hand doctors working very long hours are more likely to make mistakes and I think should have the right to sue the hospital that puts them in this risky position.

I agree with you @lisa, nursing is a very hard job and not enough people appreciate how important their work is. I'm sure @april and @Paulette would agree.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 9,454 mod
    edited January 30
    @lisa in Belgium it is the same as in the UK, the doctors are appreciated for their work and the working hours are also reasonably arranged. Although a doctor can be indicted too for negligence, but this doesn't happen very often.
    Mistakes arise from fatigue and such a thing is unacceptable when you work with people.
    The job of a nurse is very diverse because in addition to her professional skills, a nurse must also have a lot of social and communicative skills and a very important point is being empatic and yet motivating the patient to continue.
    At these times, nurses are valued more by the doctors because doctors know that the healing of a patient is also determined by the expertise in all its aspects of the nurses.
    Perhaps a small anecdote that is not unimportant:
    My daughter who is a nurse, was recently elected by the doctors with whom she works and the patients she cared for, as the best nurse in our country and she got the title: Nurse of the Year.
    Post edited by Paulette on
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,497 mod
    I didn't hear that news about your daughter, @Paulette ?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 9,454 mod
    @april she was it for Belgium but in the Uk there is also this award.
  • lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    The relationships between doctors and patients are increasingly harsh in China in recent years as the increasing amount numbers of patients. @mheredge The attitudes of some doctors are not patient enough as well as the anxieties of patients. There are several severe events such as one doctor was killed or attacked in his or her office because of the conflict between doctor and patient. Do the doctors and nurses have to do shiftwork in UK? The Chinese doctors and nurses have to do that kind of work because there will be emergence cases happening such as some person is attacked by heart disease during night.

@Paulette The role of nurses weighs importantly the role of doctors in some aspacts. But they do not gain enough attentions in China, in my opinion. Nurse could be doctors a few years ago in China, but this discipline has been cancelled. The job of nurse is comprehensive, hardship, and complex.