Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Iranian/Persian Poets

rasoulrasoul Posts: 10 ✭✭
Hi folks,
Since there weren't many threads on poetry, I thought I'd create a new one to introduce you to some of the greatest, world-renowned poets from my country as well as some of the less well-known ones whose works, in my view, are equally superb and so deserve the same amount of attention. I'll also share some of their poems whenever I have the time.

I'll start with the most famous one (at least in the west):

Rumi, whom I think gained worldwide fame mainly because of his lovely love poems and quotes.

"Our death is our wedding with eternity."

Ferdowsi, who's probably less well-known, but has the longest epic poem ever created in the world called Shahnameh which has some 50,000 rhyming couplets.

"How shall a man escape from that which is written? How shall he flee from his destiny"

Saadi, also known as Saadi of Shiraz (which is one of Iran's cities). His most famous poem which is from his collection of poems called Gulestan meaning the garden of rose and almost everyone has in their memory in Iran is:

Human beings are members of a whole
In creation of one essence and soul
If one member is afflicted with pain
Other members uneasy will remain
If you have no sympathy for human pain
The name of human you cannot retain

Here's another translation of the same poem:

The children of Adam are limbs of a whole
Having been created of one essence.
When the calamity of time afflicts one limb
The other limbs cannot remain at rest.
If you have no sympathy for the troubles of others
You are not worthy to be called by the name of "man".

I'd also like to mention the fact that when it comes to some poems, one would truly appreciate them only when one knows the language in which the poems are written, but obviously it takes years of hard work to really learn a second language so much so that one can understand poetry.

And finally, please excuse my writing if it's incoherent or anything :).
Tagged: