Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

‘The pursuit of happiness is a pointless goal’

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 29,840 mod
edited January 22 in People and Feelings
"Life is tragic, says the provocative Jordan Peterson, and we are all capable of turning into monsters." He has published 12 Rules for Life which tells you to get in touch with your inner psychopath, that life is a catastrophe and that the aim of living is not to be happy.

This is hardly the staple of most self-help books.

However Peterson’s 12 rules make a lot of sense:

Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back
Rule 2 Treat yourself like you would someone you are responsible for helping
Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you
Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today
Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticise the world
Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
Rule 8 Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie
Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
Rule 10 Be precise in your speech
Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding
Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

What do you think of his argument? What about his 'rules'?

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/jan/21/jordan-peterson-self-help-author-12-steps-interview?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=261344&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I really like some of the rules and I see a few I've already been trying following in my life. For example, the rule number 4 I believe is the one that can get you ahead in life. The rule 6 is also quite sound advice. You'd better start improving your immediate surrounding before criticising someone else's. Finally, I think the rule 9 is a very practical approach I've never heard before. It'd help to solve many misunderstandings and ambiguities if people played by this rule. What is your stance on the list @mheredge ?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    I have to agree with all 12 rules @Vok, though the cat might not agree with rule no. 12. I think rule 9 is very wise too. I also agree that it is not good to surround yourself with people that don't want the best for you. That negative energy can be very bad for you.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think every person has their own experiences in life that is why we are different. My rules for happiness will be different from yours and vice a versa. I feel happiness a process not a destiny as we can't get ultimate happiness in our lives. For me this is very subjective in nature. But, I agree with one rule...Pet a cat and you will find a good time in your life. :)
    We had a very interesting discussion on this topic this morning @Bubbly and @NatashaT. The key word here is 'pursuit' and I think we agreed that chasing happiness is not a good idea. However the 12 rules provide ways to enhance happiness. We talked quite a bit about not worrying what others think and not hanging out with people who don't support you.

What is 'ultimate' happiness @Bubbly?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The concept of Ultimate happiness comes from spiritualism and Sufism. I read some stuff on it recently. @mheredge
    pursuit of happiness is a good idea but the question is whether we get it by all means or not. There are many people who simply think that others happiness is their happiness.
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 828 Teacher
    Rules 11 and 12 are very specific!! I'm not sure how all these rules help you 'get in touch with your inner psychopath', or how being in touch with your dark side helps, but I agree that the rules do make a lot of sense.

I think that rule 2 is very important, too - we are usually much harder on ourselves than we are on other people.
    Rule 11 does seem a bit weird, but number 12 makes a lot of sense @NatashaT.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Rule 9 suits to me the most. I like listen to people, you can hear something new form them, but it is important to not listen a goofs.
    Rule 9 is a good one to remember @nomad81.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    I also find an interesting a rule no. 7, so it's difficult to determine what we do, is it meaningful or expedient.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod
    I'm not sure why the rule about skateboarding children is there, but the rest of them make sense to me. I think a lot of people look to outside factors to bring them happiness, whereas in reality the power lies within them.
    I believe the rule 12 is just an example that you shouldn't be a wet blanket and bother someone who's doing something enjoyable.
    Actually I thought it was more to do with the huge pleasure it can bring when the cat starts purring @Vok. Maybe Peterson is just a cat lover.
    @mheredge sorry, my previous message was about the rule 11 not 12.
    Well I guess if you distract the kid on the skateboard they might fall and break a leg. That would make me sad @Vok, but I see your point.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,367 mod
    Vok said:

I believe the rule 12 is just an example that you shouldn't be a wet blanket and bother someone who's doing something enjoyable.

Yes I suppose it might be something like that. Or don't worry about something that you can't do anything about.