Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

People who have illnesses by themselves should have to pay more for health care or not ?

lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
The question is: People who cause their own illnesses through unhealthy lifestyles and poor diets should have to pay more for health care.

The following is my essay:

It is ture that unhealthy lifestyles and poor diets would cause some illnesses for people. But I do not agree with the opinion that these people should pay more for health care.

Firstly, people who have unhealthy lifestyles are mostly young adults, and most of them have just graduated from univerisities, which means that they are more or less facing various problems, such as stress from jobs, burdens of paying housing loans and other issues related to common life. Those issues force them to work hard or stay up, which contribute great proportion to unhealthy lifestyles. What the society should do is to decrease their burdens instead of forcing them to pay more for their health care.

Secondly, as the development of globalization and the fast rhythm of modern society, people prefer processed meanls rather than cooking traditional ones. Those meals taste good but include deficient nutritions, which causes illness to people. Avoiding to enjoy those processed meanls is definitely a premier choice, but most people can not get rid of their additions to those meals. In contrast, they can achieve their goals step by stey instead of getting rid of them at one go.

Finally, compared with forcing people who have unhealthy lifestyles and poor diets to pay more for their health care, rehabilitations of them to correct their unhealthy lifestyles is more important. For example, local health care centers could invite people to participate in some activities or educational reports hosted by qualified doctors. By taking part in those activities, people could learn some professional knowledges about health as well as build their own healthy lifestyles and improve the quality of their diets in common life.

In conclusion, paying more for health care is likely to be a kind of penalty which might have some positive impact on people, and in my view, introducing healthy theories to people in their usual life far outweigh penalty.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,840 mod
    I know that there's been some discussion about this in the UK with regard to smoking @lisa. I think that to a certain extent, self-inflicted problems should get less priority than unavoidable illnesses.
  • lisalisa Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with those topics, and it is the writing task in the examination. And the money for social insurance is fixed, I think, I do not think people with illnesses by self-inflicted problems should pay more for health care. @mheredge
    I think maybe there is an argument for smokers @lisa as they incur a huge cost to the health service. In countries where people have to pay for their medical care this is fine, but in the UK where it is free, this puts a huge burden on the health system.
    The people who smoke have obnoxious odours, do you have the same feeling? I always tell my husband that he is like barbecue. @mheredge
    I was waiting for a bus earlier today and was looking around to see who was smoking but I think it was just a smoker that smelled badly of cigarettes as I couldn't see any smoke anywhere @lisa.
    It is forbidden to smoking publicly in some cities of China, which means the smokers have to go to some fixed places to smoke, or they have to pay penlaties, maybe 50 RMB per time or 200 RMB per time. And I think this principle is very good, but the smokers do not like it at all, because this principle makes them feel they like outcasts sometimes. @mheredge
    Even outside in the street @lisa? That is very progressive. I hate it when I see people hanging around outside puffing their cigarettes, and even worse if I have to pass them walking in the street. I think that this is a very good policy!
    I am not quite sure this priciple is working outside in the street or not, but people have to go to a fixed place to smoke in Beijing airport and some other places. What I am happy with is Chinese government has began to pay attention to these "small" issues which connect colsely to our common life. @mheredge