Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Bad habits and good habits

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 31,072 mod
Today we discussed habits and how to change bad habits, replacing them with good ones (Shiny03, @anshi, @Zaki, @mhoz000).

It was inspired by the article posted in another topic: Start a new (good) habit, kill an old (bad) one

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/05/health/habits-wisdom-project/index.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

"Habit is a good servant but a bad master."

The article gives some good tips. "The first thing to identify for yourself is the habit you want to work on, whether it's starting a new (good) one or ending an old (bad) one. That's a minor distinction, by the way. Eating healthier is eating less junk. Exercising more is being less sedentary. One is often the inverse of another. This step requires some honest self-evaluation. What is not working in your life? What personality flaws are holding you back? Where is there room to do better?"

What are your good habits and what are your bad habits? I have a bad habit of snacking in the evening. But I have developed a good habit of eating more healthy food and (except when I'm snacking) exercising much more self-control. Sounds contradictory doesn't it? Perhaps I need to make sure that my snacking is limited to fruit and make it less frequent.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,072 mod
    I try to make it a habit to walk at least an hour each day. If the weather is bad however, I tend to be lazy.
  • VokVok Posts: 540 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to curb my sugar intake by replacing biscuits/sweets with fruits. I've already made a personal resolution to pare down the amount of times I drive to work to once per a fortnight. I use public transport instead and get off the bus a few stops earlier to walk the rest of the way. I wish I exercised more regularly as well.
    These sound like really good resolutions. Especially getting off a few stops before you need to and walking the last part. Too often time is used as the excuse not to do enough exercise but with planning, this could work well @Vok.

My biggest problem is lack of self-control!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod
    I am in the habit of having the wrong kinds of food when I have a snack. I need to change that, and start eating good foods instead.
    I've mastered this one @GemmaRowlands and now snack on fairly healthy food, but in my case the problem is less about quality and more about quantity.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭
    My bad habit is watching TV series or reading book far into the night.
    Do you mean you don't have enough sleep @nomad81 ? I'm asking because even though being done late at night, reading doesn't seem a bad habit to me. I wish I could stay up at night and read a book, but it's the best sedative for me.
    mheredge said:

I've mastered this one @GemmaRowlands and now snack on fairly healthy food, but in my case the problem is less about quality and more about quantity.

Yes that's true. I do tend to eat too much food, particularly if I'm bored and all I'm doing is snacking.
  • ElshaimaaElshaimaa Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    My bad habit --- i cant stop talking
    Good habit ---- always i smile :D
    Elshaimaa said:

My bad habit --- i cant stop talking

Good habit ---- always i smile :D

I think it's good that you always smile, that is a very good habit indeed. I bet it makes other people happy when they are around you, too.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭
    @Vok If I sit to late night, I feel a bit tired and sleepy a next morning. In my opinion a reading to late is not bad, too. Unfortunately I start my workday early, so I should limit my night activity.
    @Elshaimaa speaking a lot isn't necessarily a bad habit (sometimes maybe), and smiling is definitely a very good habit. I talk a lot but I make a lot of friends who maybe I wouldn't have made, just because I wasn't too shy not to start chatting with them.

I have the same problem @nomad81 and ideally should be in bed by midnight.
  • SoheilaSoheila Posts: 6
    One of my good habits is thinking about reason of everything especially about what I've done. However, it's a bad habit. Sometimes I want not to think and just rest.
    There are advantages and disadvantages of thinking about the reasons for everything @Soheila. But as long as it doesn't mean that you worry about things too much, then surely it can't be a bad thing to be thoughtful about what you are doing?
    @Soheila I agree with @mheredge . If you kick yourself every time you did something wrong, dwell on it and don't learn from your mistakes then it's a bad habit indeed. You need to do something enjoyable and take your mind of things for a while when you feel you spend too much time thinking.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we have discussed this topic many times in Learn English Speaking Club sessions on Skype. I love this topic as it gives us an idea about our habits and how can we replace or unlearn some bad or unwanted habits.
    You're right @Bubbly, the more we are conscious of our bad habits, the more likely we can change them. I think also there is value sharing with others too, as often they can provide support, or even the fear of relapsing and what they might say can be a good incentive not to go back to the bad habit you are trying to give up.
    You're right @mheredge - a problem shared is a problem halved.
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    that is why I am in favour of chitchat. I conduct one session every Saturday and we discuss our daily activities or personal and social life. Believe me, it helped me out to know many things that I was not aware of about my own personality. @mheredge
    Sometimes it's necessary to have someone point out your bad habits too @Bubbly. So often it is easy not to see how things we do can annoy others.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    My problem is I am quite sure what my bad habits are, and I have decided to change them, but I can not be able to insist on the process until the bad habits have been changed.
    lisa said:

My problem is I am quite sure what my bad habits are, and I have decided to change them, but I can not be able to insist on the process until the bad habits have been changed.

It might help if you ask someone else about what your bad habits are, as they would be able to give you some insight into things that you can't see yourself.
    @GemmaRowlands 'Listen to your enemies, they're the first to notice your faults' is the quote fits the bill perfectly.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands That is a good idea, and I would find a chance to ask some of my colleagues how to deal with my bad habits.
    That said, I might start worrying about what people might come up with!
    mheredge said:

That said, I might start worrying about what people might come up with!

Well yes, that is a worry sometimes - but it can be fascinating to hear about things that you do a lot that you were not even conscious about.
    Well my feet don't smell, I don't usually snore unless I sleep on my back, I'm fairly relaxed about most things to eat or drink, but I do sometimes bite my nails and hate it when people smoke near me.
    mheredge said:

Well my feet don't smell, I don't usually snore unless I sleep on my back, I'm fairly relaxed about most things to eat or drink, but I do sometimes bite my nails and hate it when people smoke near me.

I wouldn't class snoring as a habit, because you can't really help it. I only snore when I have had a cold and my nose is blocked. I don't normally make a noise when I'm asleep at all.
    Well I'm not a habitual snorer @GemmaRowlands, but you're probably right, snoring isn't really a habit. I suppose habits are usually more intentional than otherwise.
    mheredge said:

Well I'm not a habitual snorer @GemmaRowlands, but you're probably right, snoring isn't really a habit. I suppose habits are usually more intentional than otherwise.

True. Although if someone snores more on their back, and purposefully sleeps on their back despite this, then I guess it is kind of a habit.