Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

I try writing a story. Please check the grammar in English.

taizuolaitaizuolai Posts: 17 ✭✭
Title: I am ready tells you my childhood story.
I am ready tells you my childhood story.

I was born in 1978 year. In my childhood, my family were not rich. My parents tell me, we were living in a house of relatives. At the time, this was my uncle's house. The half of the house rents to other people. My family lived in the other half of the house. Because the house was not enough large, so we are often playing and sleeping in the basement. At that time, my father still study in senior high school and work at the same time. He is an effort man. My mother also is an effort woman. Because, she was teaching in kindergarten and caring me and my young brother at the same time. My parents bought a house through by hard work.

Own a house after, we moved to a new house. But the house is old, so my father need maintain at intervals. My parents spend all money for each maintain. However, we are not lack of foods and wears. but we do not have any luxury. My father is very busy with the work, so there is no time to accompany the children. Almost is my mother to accompany me and my younger brother with play and care. My father was awarded the national class A license and work at the same time. At that time, the Nintendo TV game was popular. we have not money to buy this luxury. Therefore, we only can go to my younger brother's classmate's home with playing the Nintendo TV game. I have NT$35 pocket money each week. My mother gives me pocket money for breakfast every day. However, I almost not eat breakfast and save the money. Until I have graduated from elementary school, I have store NT$60000. In my childhood, I always keep thin body because I almost do not eat breakfast for save money. In my memory, my studying elementary school is built and everywhere are muddy roads. In rainy weather, there is always not very convenient. Especially, when the typhoon comes always bring disaster impact to whole Taiwan. Everybody only can hide out in their house to avoid the disaster of typhoon.

In my childhood, a shocked event happened on China at 4 June 1989. I live in Taiwan and we can watch TV. We know the Chinese government uses tanks and machine guns to kill students and people. However, my childhood half time lives in Taiwan martial law period. At that time, Taiwan education was very repressive, such as prohibited to use Taiwanese native language, using teaching only for examination, almost teachers always beaten and humiliating their students only for examination results, school education instilling students is Chinese, so on.

In conclusion, my childhood is always unhappy. We are always lack of freedom playing time. my examination results are always bad. I am not a genius, therefore, I was repressed to study for examinations. But I have a hobby. That is drawing comic. When I draw comic then I feel good. This is my childhood story.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    Well done @taizuolai, this is a very nice first attempt. You describe your childhood very well. You started off in the past tense but slowly changed to write in the present tense. You express yourself very well and I have learned something new about Taiwan!
    Keep this up!

I never realised that it was so controlled by China in the 1980s. This is one of the few countries I have not yet visited in Asia and I would like to go there one day. My Singaporean friend who has travelled to almost every country in the world reckons the food here is among the very best (he is a real foodie).

Comic art is a wonderful way to express yourself. This take talent. Do you now do this as a living?
    taizuolai said:

Title: I am ready tells you my childhood story.

I was born in 1978. During my childhood, my family was not rich. My parents tell me, we were living in a house of relatives. At the time, this was my uncle's house. Half of the house was rented to other people. My family lived in the other half. Because the house was not enough large, we often played and slept in the basement. At that time, my father still studied in senior high school and worked at the same time. He was a hard working man and my mother also worked hard. She was teaching in a kindergarten and caring for me and my young brother at the same time. My parents bought a house through their hard work.

After the first house, we moved to a new one. It was old, so my father needed to maintain it at intervals. My parents spent all their money for each job to keep it maintained. We did not lack food and clothes, but we did not have any luxury. My father was very busy with work, so had no time to spend with the children. Almost always, it was my mother who would occupy herself with me and my younger brother. My father was awarded the national class A licence and was working at the same time. At that time, the Nintendo TV game was popular but we did not have money to buy this luxury. Therefore, we only could go to my younger brother's classmate's home to play the Nintendo TV game. I had NT$35 pocket money each week. My mother gave me pocket money for breakfast every day. However, I almost never ate breakfast and saved the money and when I graduated from elementary school, I had saved up NT$60000. As a child I was always thin because I hardly ever ate breakfast to save money.

I remember my elementary school and everywhere there were muddy roads. In rainy weather, it was not very easy. Especially when the typhoon came, this always brought disaster to the whole of Taiwan. Everybody could only hide in their houses to avoid the impact of the typhoon.

In my childhood, a shocking event happened on China on 4 June 1989. As I lived in Taiwan, we could watch TV. We knew the Chinese government used tanks and machine guns to kill students and people. However, during my childhood half the time I lived in Taiwan it was during the martial law period. At that time, Taiwan education was very repressive. For example it was prohibited to use the Taiwanese native language, except for examinations. Almost all teachers were always beating and humiliating their students, emphasis was only for examination results, the school education instilled was Chinese, and so on.

In conclusion, my childhood was always unhappy. We always lacked freedom for playing. My examination results were always bad. I am not a genius, therefore, I was pressured to study for examinations. But I have a hobby. That is drawing comics. When I draw comic art then I feel good. This is my childhood story.