Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Do you keep a diary?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 6,117 mod
In the past, lots of people would have written in a diary at the end of each day, as a log of what they had done. I think lots of people have ceased to do this, largely thanks to technology and instant communication.

But do you still do it?

I have a diary, which I like to write my thoughts in.

Do you write in a diary? What kind of things do you write about?

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    I find all sorts of notebooks here and there where I have written entries for a few weeks at a time, but I never have kept a diary religiously for anything other than holidays @GemmaRowlands.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    mheredge said:

    I find all sorts of notebooks here and there where I have written entries for a few weeks at a time, but I never have kept a diary religiously for anything other than holidays @GemmaRowlands.

    I have years worth of properly written diaries from when I was a teenager. It's amazing to be able to look through it and see exactly what I was going through, as I have forgotten a lot of it now. I would love to have the time to write like that again.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    I never have the discipline to write for more than a few days at a time @GemmaRowlands. I don't want to throw away the scrappy notebooks though, as I think one day I might like to look at what I've written. It's a bit like old photos, all of which I have now retrieved from my attic but are still at my mother's place as they half fill up a small suitcase!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    mheredge said:

    I never have the discipline to write for more than a few days at a time @GemmaRowlands. I don't want to throw away the scrappy notebooks though, as I think one day I might like to look at what I've written. It's a bit like old photos, all of which I have now retrieved from my attic but are still at my mother's place as they half fill up a small suitcase!

    I imagine things like that would be wonderful to look at one day. I wish I had kept more from my younger days, to be honest, but I will just try to keep things from now on.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    I am helping a friend transcribe one of the 40 diaries that an old friend of his left him. I have the diary for 1973. Mr Lucas lived in London and was a civil servant who kept meticulous records of his dalliances with rent boys but back in the days when, as he points out, this sort of behaviour received worse prison sentences than murder and robbery in many cases. My friend is intending to have a book published and has already been invited to give a reading of some of the extracts.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    mheredge said:

    I am helping a friend transcribe one of the 40 diaries that an old friend of his left him. I have the diary for 1973. Mr Lucas lived in London and was a civil servant who kept meticulous records of his dalliances with rent boys but back in the days when, as he points out, this sort of behaviour received worse prison sentences than murder and robbery in many cases. My friend is intending to have a book published and has already been invited to give a reading of some of the extracts.

    That sounds very interesting indeed. I don't envy you with the transcription task though, as that's something that always takes me a very long time when I do it.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    The writing is tiny though fairly neat and as I am getting used to the way the author expresses himself, a bit easier to guess when I can't make out the handwriting. But I don't think my friend will be able to get through all 40 years' of diary. Each one is like a huge tome @GemmaRowlands.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    mheredge said:

    The writing is tiny though fairly neat and as I am getting used to the way the author expresses himself, a bit easier to guess when I can't make out the handwriting. But I don't think my friend will be able to get through all 40 years' of diary. Each one is like a huge tome @GemmaRowlands.

    Neater writing does make things a lot easier. Some of the things I have been given in the past are completely illegible, and I really struggled to make sense of them at all.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    Unfortunately the pages for each day seem to be getting longer @GemmaRowlands but this might be because not so much was going on in early January!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    mheredge said:

    Unfortunately the pages for each day seem to be getting longer @GemmaRowlands but this might be because not so much was going on in early January!

    Even easy transcription is something I find very hard going. The hours seem to drag while I'm doing it, even when the work is interesting.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    I find after about 20 minutes my neck starts to hurt as I have to put the diary on one side @GemmaRowlands and it is difficult to keep open at the page I'm looking at. It is also a fragile document - 1973 is already 45 years ago. I can't believe how little has changed in many of the things the author writes about from the ineptitude of the bank to criticisms of the BBC!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    mheredge said:

    I find after about 20 minutes my neck starts to hurt as I have to put the diary on one side @GemmaRowlands and it is difficult to keep open at the page I'm looking at. It is also a fragile document - 1973 is already 45 years ago. I can't believe how little has changed in many of the things the author writes about from the ineptitude of the bank to criticisms of the BBC!

    It's funny how long ago it actually is. When I think about 30 years ago I still think of the 70s, but it was pretty much when I was born, and that makes me feel quite old!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,195 mod
    The diary dates back to 1973. Today I was transcribing an entry related to the final end of the Vietnam War (for the Americans at least). In terms of what the diarist comments on, I find very little changes though @GemmaRowlands.

    Platform heels, flared trousers, the three-day week and powercuts are all I remember. We played a lot of scrabble in candlelight in 1974.
Sign In or Register to comment.