Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Cost of living

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 29,202 mod
It is always interesting to compare the cost of living, whether for holidays or the possibility of living in another country for work or studies.

Most studies are a lot more scientific than this one that compares prices in popular tourist destinations in Europe. Help! I seem to be in the most expensive place.

Can you work out what your total price for the same items would be in your city and country?

Tagged:

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Also, there's a website you can compare prices on different products, utilities, goods etc. in two different countries www.numbeo.com.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 719 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2
    Item Place Price (£)
    Bottled still water 0,33l Cheap supermarket 0,26
    Still water 0,6l chain café 1,67
    Espresso 30 ml chain café 1,47
    Coca-Cola 0,25l McDonalds 0,90
    Beer local brand 0,45l street shop 0,39
    Guiness Draught 0,45l Irish stout tin street shop 1,87
    Beer Hoegaarden wheat lager 0,5l chain café 3,60
    Wine, bottle 0,75l chain café 19,31
    Wine "Montrachet Grand Cru «Marquis de Laguiche» . Joseph Drouhine. 2007." bottle 0,75l an expensive restaurant 2515,77
    Wine per glass 150 ml chain café 3,86
    Mosquito spray 150 ml chemist 1,29
    Garnier Ambre Solaire SPF 30,200 ml online shop 6,57
    Local brand 30 SPF, 200 ml online shop 3,22

Moscow, Russia.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,117 mod
    Wow, it is amazing just how much of a difference there is. However, I now understand why so many Brits choose to move to the Algarve when they retire. Nicer weather, and their money will go a lot further! What's not to like!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    Wow local beer in Russia is cheap @Practical_Severard! This is the sort of price you find in cheaper Asian countries like Cambodia and Thailand. Wine is a difficult one to compare like with like, as reasonable table wine in France is cheap but by the time it arrives in the UK it costs quite a bit more.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 719 ✭✭✭
    edited January 3
    > @mheredge said:
    > Wow local beer in Russia is cheap @Practical_Severard! This is the sort of price you find in cheaper Asian countries like Cambodia and Thailand. Wine is a difficult one to compare like with like, as reasonable table wine in France is cheap but by the time it arrives in the UK it costs quite a bit more.

The grapevine grows in Southern Russia only, so the Russian wine has to be transported for at least 1300-1400 km to be sold in Moscow. I guess the British situation is much similar, though I've heard there were vineyards in Southern England. So we need to import the most of the wine. The French, I guess, drink wine like we drink tea.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    Pretty much @Practical_Severard. Most French people drink wine with lunch and dinner, though maybe less as a drink without food like beer. The English wine that is produced mainly in the south of England can be quite expensive however, as it is produced on quite a small scale. It can be very nice.