Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Happy New Year

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 29,114 mod
Most countries around the world celebrate New Year on January 1st and the day is a public holiday. But many countries and people also have another day when they celebrate their own new year. For example the Chinese New Year, Losar, the Tibetan, Sherpa, and Tamang new years in Nepal which are celebrated in late January to February depending on the moon; and as I learned today from, there is a Serbian new year that is celebrated a few days after January 1.

Then there are special traditions. Fireworks often are lit to see the new year in, just before midnight on the 31st December. There are usually a lot of parties on this night and revellers will stay up until midnight and sing songs like 'For auld lang syng,' originally a poem written by Robert Burns in 1788 and set to the tune of a traditional folk song to bid farewell to the old year at the stroke of midnight.

How did you celebrate the New Year? Did you do anything special? What sort of customs do you have for seeing in the new year?

Whilst many countries have a Christmas tree for Christmas, in Japan it is used for New Year.

https://greenglobaltravel.com/20-ways-to-celebrate-the-new-year-around-the-world/

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,097 mod
    Happy new year! In the UK, most people use it as an excuse to get drunk.. however I just had a quiet night in with my partner, which was nice.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,114 mod
    I didn't see any loud or drunken behaviour over New Year here in Nice @GemmaRowlands. There was a lot of traffic in the evening however and I hope that there wasn't too much driving late under the influence! In Cape Town over Christmas there were reports of a lot of road accidents caused by drink-driving.
    mheredge said:

I didn't see any loud or drunken behaviour over New Year here in Nice @GemmaRowlands. There was a lot of traffic in the evening however and I hope that there wasn't too much driving late under the influence! In Cape Town over Christmas there were reports of a lot of road accidents caused by drink-driving.

It annoys me when people drink and then drive. They're not only putting their own lives at risk, but everyone else's as well.
    @GemmaRowlands even in Kathmandu the police have cracked down on drink-driving and people seem to be taking it seriously. The police put them in jail for the night, deprive them of their mobile phone (which I think hurts more than anything), fines them and I guess puts a stamp on the driving licence so if they repeat the offence, it will get suspended.
    mheredge said:

@GemmaRowlands even in Kathmandu the police have cracked down on drink-driving and people seem to be taking it seriously. The police put them in jail for the night, deprive them of their mobile phone (which I think hurts more than anything), fines them and I guess puts a stamp on the driving licence so if they repeat the offence, it will get suspended.

That is a good thing to do. I don't think that people should be allowed to carry on driving if they have been caught using a mobile phone, as they clearly aren't responsible.
    I wish they were confiscating mobile phones from drivers caught using them while driving @GemmaRowlands. They are taking them when they take in drivers who are over the limit.
  • LARAWIN554LARAWIN554 Posts: 69 ✭✭
    I wish you very merry new 2018 year.