Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

New Year's Resolutions

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 29,114 mod
Have you made any New Year's Resolutions? Have you ever made any that you have actually succeeded in keeping?

Best intentions and all that?

Why not make a list of your resolutions and then this time next year you can look back and see if you have managed to keep any?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/31/quitting-smoking-getting-out-of-debt-guardian-readers-resolutions-kept?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=258889&subid=11006640&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 164 ✭✭
    What helps me to stick to my resolution is to make small, attainable goals with simple criteria to achieve. For example, last year I read 30 books with a total number of pages are just over 8.000. This year I've decided to read 30 books too, but over 10.000 pages. Clear improvements but not too ambitious. What are your resolutions for this year @mheredge ?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,114 mod
    That's not bad @Vok. That's more than a book a fortnight. That's probably more than I will have time to get through. I'm a bit sporadic when I read. I can devour a paperback novel in a few hours but then I go weeks without reading if I have too much else on my plate.

I'm very bad at making resolutions. I want to lose some weight (that I think I will succeed in doing). I want to do more exercise (I'm hopeful that I can keep this one). But after that, I'm not sure.
  • VokVok Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I use a slightly different approach @mheredge . I read a few pages, but every day. It helps me to stay on top of things and reminds me of my goal. I believe that no matter how busy you're, you can still find at least half an hour daily. At the end of the week it makes a difference.
    I think a resolution to become more healthy is quite ambitious itself and among the most popular ones. Today I read an article about the slight changes you can make on your daily routine to become a stronger version of yourself. You can find the article I refer to on the Telegraph website by typing in "20-microchanges-could-make-major-difference-health-2018". I'm still not able to add the link to my post. Although the article is riddled with platitudes some of the advice make perfect sense.
  • DmitryDmitry Posts: 111 ✭✭
    New Year Resolutions
    Lose weight / for the next year - Lose weigt again
    Get fit / for the next year - get fit next year
    Give up alcohol / for the next year - drink less
    Stand up to boss / for the next year - find job
    Be nicer to wife / for the next year - try to be nicer to exwife
    Sort out junk in shed / for the next year - Sort out junk in life
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,097 mod
    I want to..

- Spend less time working but be more productive in that time.
    - Exercise more.
    - Make more time for my partner.
    - Read more.
    - Watch more films.
    - Practice my musical instrument more.

Basically the key to everything I want to achieve this year is in increasing my productivity when working so that I can achieve more but with more time to spare! I know I can do it.
    @Vok This is a really good article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/20-microchanges-could-make-major-difference-health-2018/

To summarise the twenty tips:

1. Fix your wake-up time
    2. Walk to work
    3. Swap coffee for the stairs
    4. Drink more (water)
    5. Recruit a gym buddy
    6. Get burpee-ing
    7. Stretch it out
    8. Work out in the adverts
    9. Improve your balance
    10. Go green
    11. Ditch the fad diets
    12. Detox your kitchen
    13. Eat the colours of the rainbow
    14. Go nuts
    15. Get lean over a big brunch
    16. Rub your heart (meditation)
    17. Unwind before bed
    18. Write it down
    19. Give a little more
    20. Unfriend social media
    mheredge said:

@Vok This is a really good article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/20-microchanges-could-make-major-difference-health-2018/

To summarise the twenty tips:

1. Fix your wake-up time
    2. Walk to work
    3. Swap coffee for the stairs
    4. Drink more (water)
    5. Recruit a gym buddy
    6. Get burpee-ing
    7. Stretch it out
    8. Work out in the adverts
    9. Improve your balance
    10. Go green
    11. Ditch the fad diets
    12. Detox your kitchen
    13. Eat the colours of the rainbow
    14. Go nuts
    15. Get lean over a big brunch
    16. Rub your heart (meditation)
    17. Unwind before bed
    18. Write it down
    19. Give a little more
    20. Unfriend social media

These tips sound very good, and I might try to implement some of them into my life this year. I know that I need to be healthier and more active, so this could help me!
    For number three, I have lots of stairs so I reckon I can also have lots of coffee too. I'll give the gym and burpees a miss too, and as I don't have a TV, working out during the adverts is not necessary either. But the rest I already do to an extent and will just keep them up!
    I need to spend more time with my family. I am very busy at the moment, and because of this I feel that I'm not spending as much time with my family as I really should, and that is something that I need to change.
    I am going to try to kill a bad habit (I haven't decided which one yet as I have quite a few) and develop a good one.

This article suggests that the most effective way to adopt a habit is to replace a bad one with a better one.

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/05/health/habits-wisdom-project/index.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits
    mheredge said:

I am going to try to kill a bad habit (I haven't decided which one yet as I have quite a few) and develop a good one.

This article suggests that the most effective way to adopt a habit is to replace a bad one with a better one.

http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/05/health/habits-wisdom-project/index.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Habits are very hard to break. I have tried to break a few myself and it is difficult, but I honestly think I'm getting there!