Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The remit of museum should be entertaining or educational ?

lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
People have different views about the role and function of museums. In my view, museums can and should be both entertaining and educational.

On the one hand, it can be argued that the main role of a museum is to entertain. Museums are tourist attractions, and their aim is to exhibit a collection of interesting objects that many people will want to see. The average visitor may become bored if he or she has to read or listen to too much educational content, so many musuems ofter put more of an emphasis on enjoyment rather than learning. This type of museum is designed to be visually spectacular, and may have interactive activities or even games as part of its exhibitions.

On the other hand, some people argue that museums should focus on education. The aim of any exhibition should be to teach visitors something that they did not previously know. Usually this means that the history behind museum's exhibits needs to be explained, and this can be done in various ways. Some museums employ professional guides to talk to their visitors, while other museums offer headsets to the visitors so that they can listen to detailed commentary about the exhibition. In this way, museums can play an important role in teaching people about history, culture, science and other aspects of life.

In conclusion, it seems to me that a good museum should be able to offer an interesting, enjoyable and educational experience so that people can have fun and learn something at the same time.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    I hate to say it but I think a lot of museums have been dumbed down and are not very serious any more in the name of popularity and getting more bodies through the door @lisa. It's a fine line between making sure the exhibits inform in an interesting way and making them seem larger than life and gimmicky.
  • lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    In my opinion, most of historical sites and museums are operating much more commercially than educational, and those institutions should be subsidised by the states budgets, which is one of responsibilities of the governments. Those sites should be free for children under 18 years old and older adults over 60 years old, and the firsty priority of any historical sites and museums should be teaching people about the history and unqiue culture of one nation instead of earning money.@mherege
    In the UK almost all museums are still free (they welcome donations). But they still need to prove that they are worth the government pauing money into so want to attract as many visitors as if they were run commercially @lisa. The problem is, not everyone wants to pay for being educated at these places, but rather want to be entertained.
    I think most of the purpils are reluctant to listen or read to the educational context, compared with entertainments or games. @mheredge That's why I agree a good musuem should be both entertaining and educational, and the best way is people enjoy their visit as well as be educated.
    @lisa the Science Museum in London has lots of interactive displays that keep the kids suitably entertained @lisa. But children need to learn to put their mobile phones away if they want to learn.

It seems France is banning mobile phones in the classroom which I think is a very good idea. Maybe more countries will follow their good example.
    I think in China, the mobile phone is not allowed to be brought to school, usually teachers would keep the phones of students if the phones were found@mheredge
    That's very sensible @lisa. I don't know why schools anywhere allowed kids to bring their phones. I suppose here though, it's a ban from 9 to 4 in that the students are not allowed access in breaks and lunchtime so they can play or talk with each other.
    My niece spends almost all her spare time on palying smart phone, almost every time when I vedio with my mom, she is palying her smart phone, and she is a purpil. Palying smart phone has had effects on her study, of course, the effects are negative ones. The key point is teachers can only menitor their students during school time, but parents or grandparents do not pay enough vigilant after children's school time.@mheredge
    I was talking this morning with a Korean teacher who said that her school tried to ban the pupils from having their phones at school and it was the parents who made a fuss and demanded that their kids should keep them @lisa. If it were me, I'd only allow my kid to have a simple voice or sms phone which they can be reached on in an emergency but can't do anything else with.
    If it were me, I'd only allow my kid to have a simple voice or sms phone which they can be reached on in an emergency but can't do anything else with. @mheredge That is a good idea. But most parents provide smart phones to their children maybe because the classmates of their children have the same or better smart phone.