Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The positive and negative perspectives of video games

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
Many people, and children in particular, enjoy playing computer games. While I accept that these games can sometimes have a positive effect to the user, I believe that they are more likely to have a harmful impact.

One the one hand, video games can be both entertaining and educational. Users, or gamers, are transported into virtual worlds which are often more exciting and engaging than real-world pastimes. These games encourage imagination and creativity, as well as concentration, logical thinking and problem solving, all of which are useful skills outside gaming context. Furthermore, it has been shown that computer simulation games can improve users' motor skills and help to prepare them for real-world tasks, such as flying a plane.

However, I would argue that these benefits are outweighed by those drawbacks. Gaming can be highly addictive because users are constantly given scores, new targets and frequent rewards to keep them playing. Many children now spend hours each day trying to progress through the levels of a game or to get a higher score than their friends. This type of addiction can have effects ranging from lack of sleep to problems at school, when homework was sacrificed for a few more hours on the computer or console.The rise in obesity in recent years has also been linked in part to the sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise that often accompany gaming addiction.

In conclusion, it seems to me that the potential dangers of video games are more significant than the possible benefits.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    I think it a bit like a drug @lisa.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Last Saturday, which is the only rest day of mine, I talked with my mom and my niece by video, even at that time, my niece still stared at her mobile phone TV series, she did not say anything to me except the only sentence"Hello", if this word can be called as a sentence. Actually I have been concerned her eyesight for a long time, and discussing this problem with her parents and my mom several times, but it is a pity it seems no one cares.@mheredge Besides the healthy problem, I am still worried about her school course, she seems to spend much time on playing instead of studying, and she is too young to control herself, where is her future?I do not understand her parents' thought.
    How old is she @lisa? Can you limit the time she can use her phone? Maybe bribery too she helps with housework and every hour of this earns her an hour of watching her TV show on the mobile? Otherwise can you download on your laptop so she's not straining her eyes?
    @mheredge She is 10 years old, unfortunately, I am not home and even though I am working in China, I do not live together with them. Her mother is busy with her business in most of her time, and her father is busy with his job, my mother does not have ability to monitor her. I think she spends much more time on phone than studying, which makes me anxious. Once I discussed this problem with her father, my younger brother, what he told me was to complain her bad habits to me, and condemned my mom with me, because the couple agree that her bad habits relates with my mom who can not monitor her.
    Can't they just confiscate the phone @lisa? If she is this young she should learn how to obey.
    @mheredge I do not know, but she is quite quiet when she plays phone.
    This is why some parents like them I suppose @lisa. It's like the role the TV used to have before mobile phones were around. It was a good way to keep the kids from under their feet.
    And this is why we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the modern techniques, without it, our life will be disorder, but how can we utilize it normally, that is a huge problem in front of the whole world. @mheredge
    I have friends who limit the number of hours their children spend watching TV and sitting in front of the computer, but I'm not sure what they do about phones @lisa.
    I will do the same limitations for my daughter when I go back to China @mheredge
    She won't like it but I think it will be a good idea @lisa.
  • rasoulrasoul Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I believe game addiction is as terrible as drug addiction if not worse simply because, like, some could be addicted to video games without anyone thinking that they're addicted, which results in them not getting the attention they should by their parents and so they might spend their entire youth or rather waste their entire youth or even a few years of their youth playing video games, which is still terrible either way. but that's probably the worst case scenario. I was a huge fan of WOW and spent a great deal of my life playing that game. Even though I got really good at it, it was all for almost nothing in the end. That said, I think, if someone really enjoys doing something as a kid, then the prospects of them being able to give it up is slim to none.