Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Christmas Traditions and Culture

If you enjoy Christmas, tell us about the kind of things you do to celebrate. Do you have any family traditions? Do you buy presents or cards? What kind of things do you eat at Christmas?

Here are some of the things I do:-

A British Christmas

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    It's that time of year again. How do you celebrate Christmas? Is it an important holiday for you?

Try this quiz to see how much into Christmas you are:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/christmas_trivia

I was very surprised to see I scored 55%!
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,876 mod
    80% for me, but I'm not surprised I am a Christmasaholic. The 20% I missed - again it's a bit - Americanised.
    I have the nasty feeling I've made a bit of a pig's ear of catagorising some of the new topics! Is it possible to move things after they are saved or can only you do this?
    I think as a moderator you will be able to do it, but you need to let me know when you feel ready. :)
    Better not trust me yet! I'm still exploring!

Would you believe it, but I went shopping for Christmas and it's not even December yet. Maybe I can be forgiven though. They are things to be posted from India and still probably won't reach the UK in time.
    Yes, an Australian friend of mine has already done most of his Christmas shopping and posted it to Oz. :)
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,308 mod
    A topic on Christmas should not be allowed butil December 1st at the earliest! I won't be taking the quiz as I would probably score -2. Unles, of course, I put my Grandmother hat on then it would be 102%!!
    I'm not expecting to see too much of Christmas this year given I'll be staying in a Tibetan area over the festive season. However I'm in Kerala first and this state has lots of Christians and many churches so I might see some Christmas trees there.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,943 mod
    Initially I want to thank you for opening this topic, as you maybe know I am a great fan of Christmas. My heart says I gained 100 percent okay the game sees it a bit different, no problem.
    This morning my husband put on his skie and went up to fetch me some boughs I needed for my advent wreath. I finished it exactly at 2.45pm because at 3pm the service in the church would began.
    Now the wreath is sacred and we can dive into a wonderful mysterous time.
    Oh, your hubby could have made a fortune here @Hermine. We were in town today and sprigs of holly and bits of fir tree branches were being sold for a couple of euros.
    Yes I know.
  • ElfishElfish Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭
  • HelvioHelvio Posts: 1,860 Inactive
    edited December 2013
    I can't enjoy myself at Christmas, I think it is commercial at all. :-/
    @Helvio Christmas is what you make of it: you can decide to focus more on the warmth of family gathering than on the commercial aspect. :)
    Nice tree @Elfish. Do you not put a fairy or some other ornament on the top of the tree?

We always used to put a Christmas fairy on the top of our tree.
    The image is a bit cropped but there's a tiny silver star at the top.
    edited December 2013
    Hi Elfish, different countries different customs.
    The Kids will see the Christmas tree on the night of 24 of Dec. not earlier.
    Anyway the tree is nice and so colourfull.
    I think I will have to buy some new bulbs. Everytime some get broken.

-------------------

Hi Elfish,

Different countries different customs. The kids will see the Christmas tree on the night of 24 Dec. not earlier. Anyway the tree is nice and so colourful. I think I will have to buy some new baubles. Every year some get broken.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    Oh @Hermine, I prefer to see the tree from Dec. 1st onward, it makes me feel like Christmas lasts 25 days. :)
    I can understand yo elfish. Please tell me when do you ged rid of the tree?
    We don't get rid of it because it is a fake tree that we re-use each year. We take it away around the end of January. I hate this moment because it means that Christmas is definitely over until the end of the new year.
    My tree goes up when I have time to go up in the loft to bring it down! My loft is full of stuff, but I have a specific place for the Christmas decorations so that I don't have to search for them each year.
    My father used to use a fake tree and like you @amatsu, was very sensible and stored it in the attic in the same place so he could find it easily. I have to confess I've hardly ever put a Christmas tree up anywhere. Yesterday a friend referred to me as a gypsy (in the nicest possible sense). I suppose I am!
    edited December 2013
    That is very wise to store the Christmas tree always at the same place. I have enough to do by looking for the well hid or hide/hidden Christmas presents.
    @Hermine. Did you mean bulbs (for the Christmas tree lights) or baubles (the round colourful balls that hang on the tree)?
    Well she might have meant presents. You do have to hide them when you have children! ;))
    Hi Lynne, meant are the onee you would put on the tree. (colourful and if the fall off they will be broken.
    Don't you think it might be better not to hide them. Just leave them out, wrapped and kids might learn a bit of self control.
    edited December 2013
    When I was a child it was a kind of sport to search for the presents my parents bought. :-$
    Once my late mother bought a wonderful expensive Advent celandar and I was so curious to know what all the content would be. So I decitend to lock myself in the bathroom and opened carefully door after door. Since then we never ever got such a wonderful calendar.
    I don`t have even bought a single gift by now. But I have some visions in my mind.