Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The financial support of creative artists should rely on governments or other sources?

lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
People have different views about the funding support of creative artists. While some people disagree with the idea of government support of artists, I believe that money of art projects should come from both governments and other sources.

Some art projects definitely require help from the state. In the UK, there are many works of art in public spaces, such as streets or squares in city centres. In Liverpool, for example, there are several new statutures and sculptures in the docks area of the city, which has been redeveloped recently. These artworks represent culture, heritage and history. They serve to educate people about the city, and act as landmarks or talking points for visitors and tourists. Governments and local councils should pay creative artists to produce this kind of art, because without their funding our cities would be less much interesting and attractive.

On the other hand, I can understand the arguments against goverment funding of art. The main reason for this view is that governments have more important concerns. For example, state budgets need to spent on education, healthcare, infrastructure and security, among other areas. These public services are vital for a country to function properly, whearas the work of art, even in public spaces, is a luxury. Another reason of this view is that creative artists do a job like any other professional, and they should therefore earn their own money by selling their work.

In conclusion, there are good reasons why creative artists should rely on alternative sources of financial support, but in my opinion government help is sometimes necessary.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    I think that governments should help fund art as a public service @lisa. Art in public places cannot always be funded from the private sector (especially is it is not money-making).
  • lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes artworks belong to one part of mental projects which serves to educate people about the culture of different decades, history of the nation and heritages for next or following generatons. All the cultural and historical attractions for us now are artworks of our ancestors, I think.
    Museums are generally funded by the state @lisa and they show off art through the ages. However for modern artists to be publicly recognised, this is also possible and I have seen interesting outdoor collections of modern art that are very interesting.

There is one street or area located in Beijing named 798, if I remember clearly, which is full of modern artworks produced by creative artists, I think. @mheredge I do not know where the money comes from for those artists. China is a developing country, which means most of her residents pay much more attention to the living events instead of appreaciating artworks, it is a pity, I think.
    I just looked it up @lisa. I reckon probably now it it is funded privately as the area really seems to have taken off. But without the initial government injection of funds, projects like these might never happen.

'In keeping with the area's "community spirit", most galleries and spaces in Dashanzi do not charge either exhibitors or visitors. Instead, they generally sustain themselves by hosting profitable fashion shows and corporate events; among others, Sony had a product launch gala at 798 space, and watchmaker Omega presented a fashion show at Yan Club. Others include Christian Dior, Royal Dutch Shell and Toyota; supermodel Cindy Crawford also made an appearance.'

What do you think?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/798_Art_Zone

@mheredge I have never been there before, the one thing I saw in 798 was the sculptures when I passed away everytime by train. I do not think these shows are suitable for the aims of showing artworks, they are obvious business activities, which is a shame.
    Painted elephants are something I've seen @lisa, on London's embankment of the Thames. They were also for sale but I think the proceeds then went to a charity. I saw similar elephants in Chiang Mai but I wasn't sure if they were for sale. They were set in a square near one of the city gates.
    These kinds of paintings are significant for the tourism, in my mind. When you saw the similar panitings, the country or city which has those kind of paintings would come back to your brain. @mheredge I think that is one of the purposes when the artists put their work on the wall.
    I think artists usually want their art to be admired @lisa - I suppose we're all tourists then if we are looking at them in an exhibition. Most of all however, I think artists hope someone will pay them for their work.
    Not only the artists want their work to be admired, but also other human beings' work want be admired. @mheredge Admirations from the public or surpervisors would most of time encourage us to pay much more attention to our jobs. Artists are human beings, which means they have to pay bills for housing, health care, education and other expenditures, therefore they do need to be paid for their work.
    That's very true @lisa and too many bosses don't pay enough attention to how important it is to show their employees appreciation for a job well done. They are usually quick to criticise however. I've had bosses like this.
    edited December 2017
    Now we seem to have the same problem, there is a manager who would like everyone in our company to obey his decisions, of course, this everyone does not include the boss because he is just a project manager, there is a long distance between him and the boss. And we feel tired and are fed up with working with him, so I can understand your feelings.