Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Animal experimentation is positive or negative ?

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
It is true that medicines and other new products are routinely tested on animals before they are cleared for human use. While I tend towards the viewpoint that animal testing is morally wrong, I would have to support a limited amount of animal experimentation for the development of medicines.

On the one hand, there are clear ethical arguments against animal experimentation. To use a common example of this practice, laboratory mice may be given an illness so that the effectiveness of a new drug can be measured. Opponents of such research argue that human have no rights to subject animals to this kind of trauma, and that the lives of all creatures should be respected. They believe that the benefits to human do not justify the suffering caused, and that scientists should use the alternative methods of research.

On the other hand, reliable alternatives to animal experimentation may be always be available. Supporters of the use of animals in medical research believe a certain amount of suffering on the part of mice or rats can be justified if human lives are saved. They argue that the opponents might feel differently if one member of their own families needed a medical treatment that had been developed through animal experimentation. Personally, I would agree with the banning of animal testing for non-medical products, but I feel it would be a necessary evil for new drugs and medical procedures are concerned.

In conclusion, it seems to me that it would be wrong on ban testing on animals for vital medical research until equally effective alternatives have been developed.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    I hate to say it @lisa but I have to agree with you.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Most of time we know there are ethnic arguments,not only for the animal experiments but also for other issues, but we have to continue to use those cruel methods until the effective alternatives have been developed.
    I suppose if we used more natural products however, there would be less need for testing on animals. For example, The Body Shop don't test their products on animals @lisa.
    I hope there will be more and more this kinds of shops in the near future@mheredge
    If you look at the labels of cosmetics, foods and other natural products, they should indicate if they have been produced without animal testing or artificial additives @lisa. Certainly Europe is very good on labelling things so that you can tell how they have been produced.
    I think most of Chinese products you mentioned indicate that they have been tested, but they do not indicate how they have been tested. @mheredge
    I think you can assume that animals were used unless they loudly proclaim otherwise @lisa. Then it becomes a good sales angle that they can use to market their products.
    We do not find effecitive alternative method to replace animal experiements, it is a pity. @mheredge And there are lots of criticized thoughts from the animal protectors, but medical developments need animal tests.
    It is difficult to know what could be used instead @lisa. I suppose using natural products rather than synthetics means that animal testing is less necessary.
    Mentioned natural products, recently I have been using one kind of Chinese tradtitional medicines which is made by the natural materials, and I do not think it needs to be tested by animals. @mheredge
    There are lot of very good Chinese traditional medicines @lisa, especially those that use plants. I have a big problem with animal-based 'medicines however. Products made from rhino horn or tigers' parts. This fuels poaching and these animals are in danger of becoming extinct. Nowadays most of the demand is that coming from China which is a tragedy for these fine animals.
    There are animals which are feed especially for medicines before, but it is forbiden in China now, I think. But Chinese traditional medicines are marvellous, I have been using one kind of medicine plants for almost two months, every night I use it. Now my knees are comfortable when the weather is not good, such as rainy day, cloudy day and so on. The previous purpose of using this kind of medicine is to modificate my instable circle, the problem of my knees is being sloved, too, which is totally a surprise, because I have tried many kinds of medicines and suffered for a long time. @mheredge
    Which plants are you using @lisa? These are good medicines I think.

Unfortunately the demand for animal parts is far from diminished and poaching is still a huge problem.
    edited February 4
    This is very interesting @lisa. When you say 'circiles' what do you mean?
  • walterwalter Posts: 169 ✭✭
    In some causes is true. I watched many expremental, where main "actors" was be animal. I don`t agree with this, and always get very sad when I see that work expremental at animal. However, these thigs could be very useful, but in the other hand, I`am so sorry animal.
    It is a difficult dilemma @walter. On the one hand, it is cruel to animals but I wonder how science can manage if it can't test some things in this way.
  • walterwalter Posts: 169 ✭✭
    Yes that is really big dilemma. All those things have your advantage and disadvantages. @mheredge
    I used to use a lot of Body Shop products as they were big on cosmetics and skin products that were made from natural ingredients that hadn't been tested on animals @walter.