Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Should every university subject enroll euqal proportions of males and females?

lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
In my opinion, men and women should have the same educational opportunities. However, I do not agree with the idea of accepting the equal proportions of each gender in every university subject.

Having the same numbers of males and females on all degree courses is simply unrealistic. Student numbers on any course depend on the applications that the institution receives. If a university decided to fill courses with equal proportions of males and females,
it would need enough applicants. In reality, many courses are more popular with one gender than the other, and it would not be practical to aim for equal proportions. For example, nursing course tend to attract more female applicants, and it would be difficult to fill these courses if fifty percent of the places needed to go to males.

Apart from the practical concerns expressed above, I also believe it would be unfair to base admission to univeristy courses on gender. Universities should continue to select the best candidates for each course accroding to their qualifications. In this way, men and women have the same opportunities, and the applicants know that they will be successful if they work hard to achieve good grades at school. If a female student is the best candidate for a place on a course, it is surely wrong to reject her in favor of a male student with lower grades or fewer qualifications.

In conclusion, the selection of university students should be based on merit, and it would be both impractical and unfair to change to a selection of university procedure based on gender.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    I think that some allowance in some places should be made to make sure that women are encouraged to go to university @lisa. In the UK I remember that there was a drop in numbers of women going to university for some reason, but now it is the opposite.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/may/12/university-gender-gap-scandal-thinktank-men

• lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    There were equal proportions of male and female in my class when I was in the jounior middle school, but few of us continued our senior middle school education. In my opinion, I do not support the idea in the article you posted, it is unfair to female students. @mheredge
    It's the traditional views that a woman's place is in the home that is still a big barrier to women going to university in many countries @lisa. This is why in some places I think it is important to help make it easier for girls so that this old fashioned view can be forgotten.
    My husband's hometown is still in this condition, his mother and sisters do not go to work and most of time stay at home to do some housework. For me, I can not accept this kind of life, and for them, they can not understand why I choose to work abroad instead of staying at home to take care of olders and child. In my view, they live hard without their husbands, my father-in-law does everything which is needed to be outside, such as expense, vegetables, cars and so on. Menial tasks belong to women, in their view, which is the most unaccepted idea for me. @mheredge
    This is how the world is changing everywhere @lisa but unless women recognise that they can lead their own lives and don't have to be tied to the kitchen sink, then things won't change for them.
    There is one sentence once I wrote in my notebook, which is from one article: Women, with few pretensions, were unwilling to learn.

In my opinion, women should or must go to university to take a higher education, as I learned from the university, maybe a woman could not find a good job after taking a higher education, but she surely could not find a good job without taking a higher education. @mheredge
    In some societies I'm not sure if it's because women are unwilling as much as discouraged to continue their education @lisa. I have some friends in Nepal who managed to get a good education but are now very frustrated house wives as they are expected to just stay at home and take care of the family. In other countries, employers don't help either, making it difficult for women in good jobs to return to work after starting a family. As long as women see their role as having children, this can be a barrier to achieving a better education to improve job prospects in some places.