Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

what is the strangest customs you've ever heard?

what is the strangest customs you've ever heard?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    Where to start! There are some amazing customs all over the world, though I think some of the most novel come from China - @lisa, do you have any you'd like to share?

India has a few interesting customs too - what do you think @madhug?

And Britain has its share of strange customs @GemmaRowlands.

What about in your country @Ahmed_haq? Can you tell us about some strange customs you're familiar with?
  • lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge In my hometown, the married pregrant women are forbidden to spend the the last day of Chinese calender in mother's home, because people believe it would bring bad luck to her parents and her brothers. The pregrant women must not give a birth in their mothers' homes, and the reasons are the same with the first one.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    That seems a very strange custom @lisa. I don't see the logic and I would have thought giving birth at her mother's house a very good idea, especially in the old days when mostly this was done at home.
    @mheredge I do not know from when and whom this custom began, but the older people believe it very much and obey it. There are lots of strange customs in China, and there are different customs in different areas.
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    In India, We follow some customs like first baby birth has to take care wife side parents and second baby birth has to take care husband side parents.

First baby birth:
    After completing five months pregnancy she has to go her mothers home and must give birth to her mothers' home or hospital, (95 percent baby births are in the hospital only) after she has to stay another five months in her mothers' home then she comes back to her husband home.

Second baby birth:
    She has to take cared of her husband side parents
    @mheredge @lisa
    @madhug I think the first baby birth is completely opposite to our custom, but I prefer your custom to ours.
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    We obey to our customs. @lisa