Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

We should have difficult hobbies instead of simple ones in order to be enjoyable.

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
Some hobbies are relatively easy, while others are more of a challenge. Personally, I believe both types of hobby can be fun, and I therefore disagree with the statement that we should have difficult hobbies in order to be enjoyable.

On the one hand, most people enjoy easy hobbies. One example of an activity that is easy for most people is swimming. This hobby requires very little equipments, it is simple to learn, and it is inexpensive. I remember learning to swim at my local swimming pool when I was a child, and it never felt like a demanding or challenging experience. Another hobby that I feel fun and easy is photography. In my opinion, anyone can take interesting pictures without knowing too much about the technicalities of operating a camera. Despite being straightforwad, taking photos is a satisfying activity.

On the other hand, difficult hobbies can sometimes be more exciting. If an activity is more challenging, we might feel a greater sense of satisfication when we manage to do it sucessfully. For example, film editing is a hobby that requires a high level of knowledge and expertise. In my case, it took me around two years before I became competent at this activity, but now I enjoy it much more than I did when I started. I believe that many hobbies give us more pleausre when we reache a higher level of performance because the results are better and the feeling of achievement is greater.

In conclusion, simple hobbies can be fun and relaxing, but difficult hobbies can be equally pleasurable for different reasons.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    There is nothing more satisfying than doing something well @lisa. I used to be able to blind taste wine quite well but since I have not practiced much lately, my palate has become a bit lazy. But I spent about two-three years studying wine tasting as a hobby.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    @mherege This is the first time for me to know that palate can not trained, which sounds interesting. I thought the people had their special palate for the wine inborn, and I can not judge differnences amongst diffenent wines, but there is one kind of red wine which is producted in Frence, which is my favoriate and I love it very much, but it is a pity we can not find it in Alger again, maybe it is so popular that it is sold out when it is in the wine shops.
    I think the palate can be trained to a certain extent, but there will be that bias of familiarity @lisa.

Which wine is your favourite?
    I do not know which one is my favourite, because I drink wine two or three times per year, but one kind of French wine is surely well for me, it is a pity I do not know the name.@mheredge
    You will just have to taste wine until you find your favourite @lisa. I usually take notes when I taste wine and I will note the name of the one I brought from South Africa for my sister as it was very good.
    Your words make me remember that I do taste two different kinds of wine, one is bitter and sauer, another one is good. @mheredge
    Some people prefer sweet wine but unless it's to go with a dessert or rich meat pate, I prefer dry wine (not bitter but not sweet) @lisa.
    I prefer fruit wine rather than wine @mheredge
    Wine is made from grapes usually @lisa, but there are wines made from all kinds of fruit. I find them a bit sweet and strong in general for my liking.
    Once one of colleagues brought one kind of Chinese wine which was made of flower, I think. It was tasted good and not hot at all. @mheredge
    Elderflower is sometimes used to make a very nice wine @lisa, though I think in theory you can make wine out of practically any fruit or flower. The thing to do is to look at what percentage alcohol it has, which should always be shown on the label if it is sold commercially. I usually find anything up to 12% okay but stronger than that, I treat more cautiously as it goes to my head much quicker!
    That kind of wine is made of peach flowers and alcohol, I think, because its name connects with peach flower. @mheredge
    I have some some wines that are mixed with fruit to give a very nice taste @lisa, and often these are much less strong with only a few percent alcohol.
    Those kinds of wine are good for health, I think, because of the low percent alcohol. @mheredge