Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Should money is the only consideration when choosing a job?

lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
Many people choose their jobs based on the size of salay offered. Personally, I do not agree that money is a key consideration when deciding a carrer, because I believe other factors are euqally important.

On the one hand, I agree that money is necessary in order for people to meet their basic needs. For example, we all need money to pay for housing, food, bills, health care and education. Most people consider it a priority to at least earn a salary to cover these needs and have a resonalbe life. If people chose their jobs based on enjoyment or other non-financial factors, they might find it difficult to support themselves. Artists and musinians, for instance, are known for choosing a carrer path that they love, but it does not always provide them with enough money to live comfortably and raise a family.

Neverthless, I believe other considerations are just as important as what we earn in our jobs. Firstly, personal relationships and atmosphere are extremely important when choosing a job. Having a good manager and friendly colleagues, for example, can make a huge difference on the workers' levels of working and general quality of life. Secondly, people's feelings of job satification come from their professional achievement, the skills they learn, and the position they reach, rather than the money they earn. Finally, some people choose a carrer because they want to help others and contribute something positive to society.

In conclusion, while money certainly affect people's choices of profession, I do not agree it outweighs other motivators.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    Job satisfaction for me is more important than anything else because we spend such a large proportion of time working and to be doing something you don't like, is wasting your life.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that the working atmosphere is not so well recently
    I think it depends on the company you work for @lisa. I have many friends who are quite happy in their jobs, though obviously this isn't always the case. Apart from one employer, I was quite happy with all my employers.
    Our company belongs to the constructed field, and we are doing well in China, but the hierarchy is very rigorous, which is much better compared with some companies which belong to government. The hierarchies in those companies are restricted and the atmosphere is stifling although their welfares are perfect. @mheredge
    Your company is a construction firm @lisa. By 'rigorous' I am not sure what you mean unless you are referring to a strong management. Or do you mean that there is a flat hierarchy in public sector (government) companies?
    "rigorous" means that the lower class of this company must obey any decisions from the upper class. I think I should use this word-dictatorial, but the dictators are the upper classes instead of persons. @mheredge
    The management is very strict @lisa. This is fine as long as it is fair.
    Actually it is not fair, once they are in the upper class, they have unconditional power to order the lower class, of course they have to obey any decisions from their upper class. @mheredge
    Sadly this is a common problem. Power goes to their heads and they forgot quickly how it was like to be bossed about all the time @lisa.
    Exactly, they become dictators as soon as possbile, and forget their hardship when they were in the lower class. @mheredge
    Power goes to their heads - this applies to money too @lisa.
    That is secret, we should keep silence although both of us have known the truth, or we will be invited to have a drink of a cup of tea. :p @mheredge

Being invited to have a drink of a cup of tea is a joke, which refers to some invitations by government, you know, some people's actions or expressions are not properly and are discovered by the government.
    Oh I'll have to take care over who I accept an invitation to go for tea if I'm in China @lisa!
    Haha, it is a joke @mheredge
    Tea for two...

Picture you upon my knee
    Just tea for two
    And two for tea
    Just me for you
    And you for me alone NANETTE:
    Nobody near us to see us or hear us Mm, mm, mm,
    No friends or relations Mm, mm, mm,
    On weekend vacations Mm, mm, mm.
    We won't have it known, dear,
    That we own a telephone, dear...

NANETTE:
    Day will break and I'll wake
    And start to bake a sugar cake
    For you to take for all the boys to see

BOTH:
    We'll raise a family

JIMMY:
    A boy for you
    And a girl for me

BOTH:
    Can't you see how happy we will be...
    Tea for two...

Picture you upon my knee
    Just tea for two
    And two for tea
    Just me for you
    And you for me alone NANETTE:
    Nobody near us to see us or hear us Mm, mm, mm,
    No friends or relations Mm, mm, mm,
    On weekend vacations Mm, mm, mm.
    We won't have it known, dear,
    That we own a telephone, dear...

NANETTE:
    Day will break and I'll wake
    And start to bake a sugar cake
    For you to take for all the boys to see

BOTH:
    We'll raise a family

JIMMY:
    A boy for you
    And a girl for me

BOTH:
    Can't you see how happy we will be...
    Tea invited by government is dangerous :p @mheredge
    By the way, most of China prefer green tea rather than red tea, but I love boiled warm water instead of any kinds of tea. @mheredge
    I like black and green tea @lisa but I am not sure if I have ever tried red tea. I like hot water too, when I'm cold.
    I think the black tea is one kind of red tea in our minds, does UK have one kind of tea which is made of by mint, sugar and hot water? This kind of tea is very popular in Algeria, and I like it but do not love it, because it is too sweety. @mheredge
    I don't add sugar to my tea ever @lisa. Mint tea is very nice but I'd never drink it with sugar.
    Algerians prefer sugar than any other favors, in my mind. There is a lot of sugar in their coffees, mint tea and other snacks. @mheredge
    The same goes for India and Nepal @lisa. In Britain people used to add much more sugar to tea and coffee about 20 years ago than they do now. I think when people become more aware of the health risks of too much sugar, they change their habits.
    I hope so, but I really do not like Algerian mint tea and coffee because of exceeded sugar. My husband prefered to add sugar in his green tea before, but he has change this habit from last year when he realized that his weight has been much more than before. @mheredge
    @lisa I found in Morocco, Turkey, India and Nepal, people boil up the tea with the sugar already added. I usually insist on it made without. In tourist places, tea is usually made so you can add sugar if you want as they have recognised that not everyone wants sugar.
    Yes, I prefer the way you like, because I do not like sweety tea or coffe. @mheredge
    edited February 27
    I find some fruit juices too sweet for my taste @lisa, even when there is no added sugar. I always check to avoid those where sugar is added as fruit is usually sweet enough naturally. Do you like fruit juice?

In EU countries if the packet says fruit juice, this means it should be the juice of the fruit, without additives or watered down. Fruit drink on the other hand can mean anything!
    I like natural fruit juice which is made of only fruit by juice machine without any additives, because I do not like sweety juice or food. My mother told me that sugar would destory my teeth when I was a child, from then on, I began to refute those sweety juice or food, maybe it has been a hobby of mine. Anyway, it is good for my health. @mheredge
    I like freshly pressed fruit and in the summer, I often get fruit to put in my blender, mixed with some yoghurt or milk to make a drink for breakfast @lisa.
    It should be very delicious, by the way, do you like chilled drink or juices? I do not like that kinds of beverages, because my stomach is not good enough to try chilled food or drinks, I seldom try ice cream even in Summer. @mheredge