Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Should the teenagers be forced to do unpaid work in their spare time?

lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
Many young people work on a volunteer basis, and this can only be beneficial for both the individual and society as a whole. However, I do not agree that we should therefore force all teenagers to do unpaid work.

Teenagers are already under enough pressure with their studies, without being given the added responsibility of work in their spare time. School is just as demanding as a full-time job, and teachers expect their students to do homework and exam revision on top of lessons every day. When young people do have some free time, we should encourage them to enjoy it with their friends or spend it doing sports or other lesure activities. They have many years of work ahead of them when they finish their studies.

At the same time, I do not believe that society has anything to gain from obliging young people to do unpaid work. In fact, I would argue that it goes against the values of a free and fair society to force a group of people to do something against their will. Doing this could only lead to resentment amongst young people, who would feel that they were being used, and parents, who would not want to be told how to raise their children. Currently, nobody is forced to volunteer, and this is the best system.

In conclusion, teengagers may choose to work for free and help others, and I do not agree that we should make this compulsory.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    I don't think anyone should be forced to do anything @lisa but certainly teenagers should be encouraged to volunteer. In Nepal it is very normal for young adults, before they settle down and once they've finished their studies to work for a year or so as 'volunteers' maybe unpaid or paid a nominal amount. They see it as their duty to help their community.
  • lisalisa Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge And I think they can gain working experiences from woking on a volunteer basis.
    Not only that @lisa, but it demonstrates to prospective employers their willingness to work.
    I think they can get lots of experiences realted to work and society
    It gives them the experience of a working environment but most of all, by helping others, I think this helps them realize how well off they are compared to some people @lisa. Hopefully it can help make them into more caring and considerate individuals.
    Mentioned working experience, do you agree that univeristy students should do some part-time jobs? Or they must do some part-time jobs? It seemd few students did part-time jobs when I was in the university, we did want to get a part-time job, but it seemed a bit difficult and the school did not provide much help at that time. @mheredge
    Some students have to get part time work just to finance their studies @lisa, which is not an ideal state of affairs. Placements that are a part of the degree however, are quite different and are relevant to the degree.
    Happiness seems to be same to everyone, but hardness have kinds of types. Life is tough in the whole world @mheredge
    I think it is tougher for youngsters these days in Britain @lisa.
    Life is tougher for ours, I am one of 80s, and we have to work hard, because most of our bi-parents rely on us, and we have to pay the housing and car loans, children education and our social insurances at the same time. @mheredge