Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Artificial Intelligence vs Humans

Share your ideas and opinion about this trending topic. What do you think how AI and machine learning system will impact in the future.

Comments

• elancer2013elancer2013 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    What is AI?

AI means different things to different people. Some visualize machines working for their own purposes like in Terminator movies. Others imagine something like Watson that is so intelligent that it has solutions to all kinds of problems of mankind. Yet, to some data scientists, it means a piece of python code or a software package which they can run every day to earn a living.

@nidhii @Lynne @Paulette @mheredge @aladdin @Dora @gam01hr @Frank @GemmaRowlands @Yellowtail
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,540 mod
    Artificial intelligence can be very useful though it means that fewer humans are needed to do the work that can be done by robots and AI. It also means the reduction of drudgery in the home which I can't knock.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,587 mod
    It is maybe a good thing to find for many tasks artificial intelligent science solutions, but my question is than where can you find the human feelings if this things are used at people. I don't think that in the medical world al the functions of a nurse can be replaced by machines. Such machines can be very helpfull but with every machine there must also be a human presence.
    edited November 2017
    @mheredge said:
    Artificial intelligence can be very useful though it means that fewer humans are needed to do the work that can be done by robots and AI. It also means the reduction of drudgery in the home which I can't knock.

Yes it is very helpful but i wonder what about jobs for the people? @mheredge
    @Paulette said:

It is maybe a good thing to find for many tasks artificial intelligent science solutions, but my question is than where can you find the human feelings if this things are used at people. I don't think that in the medical world al the functions of a nurse can be replaced by machines. Such machines can be very helpfull but with every machine there must also be a human presence.

Yes i agree with you @Paulette
    I think in the future machines will do a lot more work and humans will have much more leisure time. The only thing is I don't know how this will work with people's ability to earn money @elancer2013.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    @elancer2013
    I think even though artificial intelligence might start replacing a lot of works that have been done by humans, as long as they can be recognized as non-human, there won’t be much of an issue. I think benefits would outweigh disadvantages that might come along.

The issue starts to rise when AIs become too human that we no longer can differentiate them from real humans. They could have emotions and their own standards in making decisions. They might start doing things for their own needs.

Then, we’ll have to face a big problem, because AIs would sure to have different needs from us humans. The problem is they are much smarter, tougher, and faster than humans. If we had to fight against AIs of that level, there’s no way we can beat them.

If we fail to put a cap on technological improvement by ethics, we’ll walk into a slippery slope where we’re all doomed.

edited November 2017
    @takafromtokyo

Yes absolutely. Recently i was watching a video in that they shown how machine learning understand the game by playing it again and again. They allowed machine learning system to play game over the night and in the result machine learning understand that how to hit invaders. Now machine is understanding by playing like a human as you said we can't differentiate between them.

I wonder what will happen in upcoming years and how it is going to acquire all the employment and technology.

What do you think about jobs for the people?
    @mheredge said:

I think in the future machines will do a lot more work and humans will have much more leisure time. The only thing is I don't know how this will work with people's ability to earn money.

I wonder may be more than 75% humans have only leisure time if it happen in this way.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    So is there any solution to combat obliteration of Jobs?
    People need to find interests and hobbies to fill up all this extra leisure time @nidhii. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't like reading, as this is always a good way to relax when you have some spare time.
    @mheredge said:

People need to find interests and hobbies to fill up all this extra leisure time @nidhii. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't like reading, as this is always a good way to relax when you have some spare time.

I like reading, but i don't read in my leisure time i read daily because its necessary. Recently i was reading an article on Elon Musk. They ask a question to Elon Musk on his knowledge and how he establish many companies, he said by reading books.
    @nidhii said:
    So is there any solution to combat obliteration of Jobs?

People are still working on it.
  • himahima Posts: 5
    I think that the Department of Mechatronics Engineering is the second home and the best place for people who love this technology
    this technology basically depends on a collection of engineering departments like ( Mechanics, Software, Electronics and Communications ) and some of other departments
    @hima said:
    this technology basically depends on a collection of engineering departments like ( Mechanics, Software, Electronics and Communications ) and some of other departments

How it is related to that, could you please explain to us as i am unaware with that.
    elancer2013
    I'm sorry that's not related, I didn't fully recognize what the title talks about.
    But I think that, in neuroscience filed: AI can control the signals transmitted by the Brain
    to the other origins but in my opinion, AI can't control or change our intention and feelings which in our chests and also can't simulate it in the form of a robot.
    in microbes combat field: AI will help us in manufacturing some of the robots in nanoscale or smaller which can do specific tasks in the body such as attacking malicious cells or microbes.
    AI have variety of applications which are developed rapidly in the important fields to reach
    the maximum human help
    I have to say that I am not totally happy at how AI might be used in the future @hima. Where it replaces jobs that can be done by people, I am not sure anyone has thought about the consequences of the unemployment this is causing.
    @hima said:
    elancer2013
    I'm sorry that's not related, I didn't fully recognize what the title talks about.
    But I think that, in neuroscience filed: AI can control the signals transmitted by the Brain
    to the other origins but in my opinion, AI can't control or change our intention and feelings which in our chests and also can't simulate it in the form of a robot.
    in microbes combat field: AI will help us in manufacturing some of the robots in nano scale or smaller which can do specific tasks in the body such as attacking malicious cells or microbes.
    AI have variety of applications which are developed rapidly in the important fields to reach the maximum human help

@hima don't be sorry about it, i didn't mean that. Yes they can't control the feelings and intentions.
    @mheredge said:
    I have to say that I am not totally happy at how AI might be used in the future @hima. Where it replaces jobs that can be done by people, I am not sure anyone has thought about the consequences of the unemployment this is causing.

Yes @mheredge that's a big issue and so many influential personalities like Elon Musk talk about it. I personally feel what AI experts is saying is completely absurd idea.
  • medi07medi07 Posts: 20 ✭✭
    If they only put a shotdown button to each one, so that they can be controlled.
    How can they do that?
    What if you aren't able to get close enough to switch it off @medi07?
    The place where the shutts down happens needs to be underground and impossible to reach using many check points, by hsing face recognition functions and codes. When any robot start to act dangerously, we will have to send his id number by contacting the underground room, we will have to make a glasses that recognize the robot id only by looking at them.
    Just random thoughts. :)
    medi07 wrote: »
    The place where the shut down happens needs to be underground and impossible to reach without using many check points, by using face recognition functions and codes. When any robot starts to act dangerously, we will have to send his id number by contacting the underground room, we will have to make glasses that recognize the robot's id only by looking at them.
    Just random thoughts. :)

I think we'll have to put you in charge of AI robot security @medi07. Maybe the scientists could come up with a self-destructive silicon product that can be activated at the press of a button.
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Thanks, I would love that.
    @mheredge said:
    What if you aren't able to get close enough to switch it off @medi07?

Then i guess they will switch us off.
    That's the biggest worry @elancer2013. Robots will take over the world. Then again they might take better care of it than humans.
    @mheredge Yeah it seems to be, but i wonder if someone hack the core and program it towards destruction then what will happen.
    That might depend how clever the robots are at blocking human hackers @elancer2013. I'd like to think it's not just in the movies that humans can outsmart the robots.