When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-

Is it pointless to spend money on protection of wild animals in today's world

lisalisa Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
Some people argue that it is pointless to spend money on protection of wild animals because we humans have no need for them. I completely disagree with this point of view.

In my opinion, it is absurb to argue that wild animals have no place in the 21st century. I do not believe the planet Earth exists only for benefit of humans, and there is nothing special in this particular century that means that we suddenly have right to allow or encourage the extinctions of any species. Furthermore, there is no compelling reason why we should let animals die out. We do not need to exploit or destroy every last square meter of land in order to feed or accommodate the world's population. There is plenty of room for us to exist side by side with wild animals, and this should be our aim.

I also disagree with the idea that protecting animals is a waste of resources. It is usually the protection of natural inhabitats that ensures the survival of wild animals, and most scientists agree that these inhabitats are also crucial for human survival. For example, rainforests produce oxygen, absorb carbon dioxide and stabilise the Earth's climate. If we destoryed these areas, the costs of managing the resulting changes to our planet would far outweigh the costs of conservation. By protecting wild animals and their inhabitats, we maintain the natural balance of the Earth.

In conclusion, we have no right to decide whether or not wild animals should exist, and I believe that we should do everything we can to protect them.

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 30,421 mod
    I came across a biography of Leonardo di Caprio @lisa. He's a great ambassador for WWF and a champion of endangered animals like tigers. I think it it is a tragedy that not enough is being done to protect wild animals. Our planet will be a much poorer place without them.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge I always believe that animals and human beings can exist side by side, unfortunately as the increasing number of population, human beings exploit more and more land of wild animals, which causes lots of conflicts between wild animals and humans, such as wild elephants and local residents in Sip Son Panna.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 30,421 mod
    I have a friend who is working with the local community where wild elephants are a constant problem. It's a very difficult balance @lisa.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Wild elephants are dangerous because of their huge badies and their bad tempers, I think. There are always news in which wild elephants thrust houses or rob the farmers homes or crops.