Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Experience in Learning English

Hello my friends,

I would like to share my experience in learning English. I am disappointed to myself. Why? Because, after a long journey of learning English, more than a decade of learning it, I am still not able to speak English fluently. I cannot understand Hollywood movie without reading the subtitles, and cannot catch most of lyrics in English.

But fortunately, I am still able to understand CNN, BBC news, or any news about football (or soccer). I categorize myself in intermediate level in reading.

I have tried to watch a clip tv series "Friends" on YouTube. OMG! apparently, I only understand a small part of it. They speak very fast and use words that I don't understand (such as phrasal verbs, etc). But, when I listen to someone who is a native speaker that explains about English I can follow him/her. I know why I can follow them. They speak slowly or slower than usual. But, when I switch again to a movie clip (hollywood movies), I don't understand (maybe less than 50%).

Now, about speaking. I don't know which one is the worst: my speaking or my listening. I think my speaking (because I can still follow a training that is conducted in English but I rarely ask a question). When the time has come I have to speak in English, I have to translate first before I speak.

What is your suggestion for me?

Thank you for reading my writing. I hope you can correct my writing.

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,463 mod
    I have the same experience as you, @jajatrd.
    You are still smarter than me because you can understand CNN and BBC News. :)
    About speaking skill; do you have a chance to speak English regularly in your daily life?
    It's difficult to be fluent if you don't actively practise it, don't you think?
    So try to find a chance to practise your English and you'll make improvements bit by bit.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,777 mod
    I think most of us stick fast in the immediate level and to reach the advanced level will need lots of patience, but weˋll never give up, wonˋt we?

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    Intermediate level English means that you can communicate well @Hermine. You can then work on refining it to reach an advanced level but polishing your English to a higher level is less important than mastering the basics.
  • DmitryDmitry Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I think motivation is very important because most of us are stuck at the average levels because they have lost motivation to continue improving English
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,202 mod
    The thing is knowing why you want to speak a language @Dmitry. When I was at school I could not ever see the point of learning Latin but French on the other hand was important because I wanted to communicate with relatives who did not speak English. Similarly because I wanted to travel in South America, I had a strong motivation to learn some Spanish, but German? I had no incentive to learn so was a real dunce at the language.
    Yes but sometimes we can lose our passion for further development... and it can be very complicated to take more high levels
    Yes but sometimes we can lose our passion for further development... and it can be very complicated to take more high levels
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 719 ✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    > @jajatrd said:
    > Hello my friends,

>

> I would like to share my experience in learning English. I am disappointed to myself. Why? Because, after a long journey of learning English, more than a decade of learning it, I am still not able to speak English fluently. I cannot understand Hollywood movie without reading the subtitles, and cannot catch most of lyrics in English.

Dear @jajatrd ,
    Any of the language skills, whether it's listening, speaking, reading or writing is like a sport. It means one needs practicing to achieve. When a person is listening something in a totally unfamiliar language he or she hears several words in the person's mother tongue. Just because his ear was trained in his early childhood. That's how the human brain works. It must be trained in a similar manner to make an foreign language oral message out.
    You've already got a good level once you understand the BBC, given that the most of language teaching is usually about the written language and grammar.

After you've watched English language films for a couple of month on a regular basis you'll notice you can do it better. Watch a scene over and over again with subtitles on and off until you've got what was it about. The only thing is starting with not too difficult films.
  • CanizCaniz Posts: 28 ✭✭
    That's a common problem we all face in the journey of learning English. I also do have the same problem with yours. For me, it was really tough to catch their words as they use lots of phrasal verbs/ slangs. Despite being so hard to get their idea, I never gave up. One thing I came to realize is that If you keep on listening to the same conversation repeatedly without being lazy, I ensure that you will able to catch it soon. So, if you keep continuing this process, definitely you will be able to grasp all those ideas in the conversation.