Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Solving the unemploment by shortening working week to 35 hours, is it positive or negative?

lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
It is unquestionalbe rising unemployment is one of the most pressing issues in the industrial world. One solution that has been put forward is to cut the wroking week to a maximum of 35 hours. However, in my view this solution is rather controversial and other solutions need to be found.

It is fairly easy to understand the reasons why this proposal has been made. The reasoning is if workers were not allowed to work for more than 35 hours weekly, then the employers would be forced to engage more staff. There would be at least two advantages to this. Not only would unemployment be reduced, but the working conditions of employees on very long shifts would also be siginificantly improved. For example, a factory employing 300 manual workers doing 10 hours a day might employ 450 workers.

There is also, however, a strong argument not to implement this proposal. This argument is based on economic competitiveness. If a company was forced to employ more workers to produce the same amount of goods, then its wage bill would rise and the products might become more expensive and less competitive comparied to the companies with longer working weeks. In this case, it is possible that the company either might become insolvent or it would have to make some employees rundant. As a result, the intended benefit to the personel would not happen.

In summary, we can see that this is clearly a complex issue as there are significant advantages and disadvantages to this proposal. My own personal view is that it would be better not to introduce the shorten working week because it works only in theory and not in a practice.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    This is precisely the problem France faces as they reduced the working hours but now are very uncompetitve. Their labour bills are high and there is a lot of unemployment @lisa.

redundant (BritEng = laid off (AmEng)
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    @mheredge I do not know the measures which Chinese government is implementing to. And it seems all friends I know have jobs, but some of them do not have social insurances.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I think the ILO (International Labour Organisation) sets down that workers shouldn't work more than 48 hours a week @lisa. But more than this, I don't know what minimum standards exist across different countries with regards to social security.
  • lisalisa Posts: 406 ✭✭
    @mheredge We are often critized by the Human Right Organization because of overworking time, I think. I am proud of the rapid developnent speed of my motherland, but I have to admit that we sacrifice much of our rest time, most of workers in China work seven days without any rest day, but our next generations will say thanks to us, I think, without hard working from us, they have to work hard.