Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Phrasal Verb Challenge #12 - Keep off/ Keep on.

DoraDora Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
Hello, my dear folks!

Here's a new PVC, after a very very long time. I hope you wouldn't be waiting for this; otherwise, pardon me for the delay. ;)

Here we go.
keep off - avoid (a topic)/ stay away
keep on - not stopping doing sth
Tagged:

Comments

• DoraDora Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My sister always keeps on the things which I try to keep off.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I always keep on loving him,though my parents want me to keep off. :#

----

I always keep on loving him, though my parents want me to keep off. (there should be a space after comma)
    Post edited by Dora on
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why I keep on inviting @filauzio to the game, every time he wants to keep off. Maybe, I couldn't keep off his playful sentences. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,156 mod
    @filauzio wants to keep away from playing with you @Dora. But he keeps at his studies and is a diligent student. Keep up the good work @Dora. If you keep on like this, eventually he will keep up with you.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After invitation from @Dora I couldn't keep off her amazing PVC any longer ( by the way, what's PVC... ah now I've got, it isn't a type of plastic, it's the acronym for Phrasal Verb Challenge ).
    I think you should waste no time in plunging headfirst into the world of phrasal verbs, which can be a valid substitute of many specific verbs; by learning them I think you're almost midway through your grasp of English.
    So let people or whatever you're reading, keep on using phrasal verbs at you, never let them keep off your daily English.
    So, my advice is to keep off from ripped jeans, stuffed animals, cracked china, revolving doors, convey-belts, mainstream fashion and quacking quacks employers who nothing else do, but keeping on and on about the possibility of keeping you on until Christmas time, if sales boom.
    Never feel capture to them who keep on bursting your bubbles. Just keep on following @Dora and @mheredge on Forum, which, along with the exercise you need to keep your pot-belly off your silhouette, will help you keeping your English off whatever flaws and mistake. ;)

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 29,156 mod
    Christmas is coming so the pot belly silhouette will be difficult to avoid @filauzio.

I don't know about the rest of Europe but Christmas is already in full swing here in the UK. Last week the Christmas lights were switched on in Regents Street and Oxford Street, London. All the shops and restaurants have their decorations up and are playing Christmas jingles.And it is still more than a month to go.

I did overhear a small child who was perceptive enough to comment 'What? Already?'
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my town in Italy, @mheredge, the Christmas atmosphere is still hiding away from public perception; yet, there are rising, almost everywhere, some evidences it's lying in ambush.

It will soon seize the first passers-by whose wallet is pulsing with the urge to buy whatever stuff, like a flapping duck.

Workers are already building up the framework of what would be a Christmas outdoor market.
    Some threads' tangles with lights are hanging from the power lines, although they are still switched off.

They resemble sad, trembling cobwebs spotted with flies.

Some shopkeepers began unrolling red runners, lying them in front of the shop; their hope is that their fellow-citizens will be enticed into walking preferably along that smooth, level path, which drive exactly into the wolf den.

I suppose the sooner the Christmas' savings' grinding machinery starts operating, the better for all the retailers who manage to net the ecstatic sleepwalkers, whom the jingles keep on hypnotizing.

As for me, I usually keep off the revelry: as early as the moment when the first runner's corner pokes through the shop's door.

My seclusion, then, ends the moment the Epiphany ( which is celebrated on January 6th ), as a flood, has removed all the ornaments and got rid of all naphthalene smelling coats, furs and, last but not least, orrible male tasseled hat.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !