Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Which period is much happier, teenages or adults?

lisalisa Posts: 407 ✭✭
It is a discussion about teenages years or adults years for a human being is much happier. In my opinion, both of those two periods have happy and unhappy experiences.

From the aspects of the teenages. As teenages they do not have lots of concerns on economic issues, social relationships to deal with, and other events to worry. Firstly, teenages do not need to go to work to earn salaries, pay bills and housing issues. All of these problems have been solved by adults. From this aspect, they are happy, because it seems they do not have any economic burdens. Secondly, most of their time is spent on studying, which means they do not have complicated social relationships to deal with. From the reasons given above, the teenages years are happier. But most of teenages have to take part in other activities after their school time, as the society is developing, teenages are required more and more abilities to meet the development of society, sometimes, studying is the hardest and most difficult job in the world. Besides the required abilities, teenages own less freedom than adults, most activities are forbidden for teenages because they do not have enough experiences to hold those activities. Those are unhappy experiences for teenages.

From the view of the adults.Being adults means they have to take more responsibilities than their teenages years. They have to buy or rent their own department instead of living together with their parents, they have to pay bills by themselves, they have to make their own budget, what was worse, they have to deal with the social relationships by themselves. For example, when the adults make a mistake, they may be criticized, but if teenages make the same mistake, most of time such kind of mistake is accepted because the whole world knows that teenages are too young to have that kind of experience. The adults must have the abilities to dispel negative effects of one activity by themselves instead of replying on others. From those reasons given above, adult period is unhappy. But all of thing has both positive and negative aspects. From the positive aspect speaking, adults have much more choices than teenages, for example, they can choose the job they prefer, they can choose the department they love and they can even decide which place to go for a travel. At the time of making a vital decision, as adults is a happy feeling.

In conclusion, both teenages years and adults years have advantages and disadvantages, which one is much happier depends on how people plan their lives.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,110 mod
    edited November 11
    lisa said:

This is a discussion about whether teenage years or adult years for a human being are happier. In my opinion, both of these two periods have happy and unhappy experiences.

As teenagers, humans do not have lots of concerns on economic issues, social relationships, and other events to worry about. Firstly, teenagers do not need to go to work to earn salaries, pay bills and housing. All of these problems have been solved by adults. From this aspect, they are happy, because it seems they do not have any economic burdens. Secondly, most of their time is spent on studying, which means they do not have complicated social relationships to deal with. From the reasons given above, the teenagers years are happier. But most teenagers have to take part in other activities after their school time, and they require more and more abilities to meet the expectations of society. Sometimes studying is the hardest and most difficult job in the world. Besides, teenagers have less freedom than adults. Many activities are forbidden for teenagers because they do not have enough experience to do those activities. [such as?
    driving, drinking alcohol, getting married].This can mean teenagers are frustrated.

Being adult means a person has to take more responsibilities than in their teenage years. They have to buy or rent their own apartment instead of living together with their parents, they have to pay bills by themselves, they have to make their own budget, and what is worse, they have to deal with social relationships by themselves. For example, when the adults make a mistake, they may be criticized, but if teenagers make the same mistake, most of the time such kind of mistake is accepted because the whole world knows that teenagers are too young to have that kind of experience. The adults must be able to deal with the negative effects of one activity by themselves instead of replying on others. From those reasons given above, the adult period of life is unhappy. But all of thing has both positive and negative aspects. From the positive aspect, adults have much more choices than teenagers. For example, they can choose the job they prefer, they can choose the apartment they love and they can even decide which place to travel to.

In conclusion, both teenage years and adult years have advantages and disadvantages. Which one is much happier depends on how people plan their lives.

• lisalisa Posts: 407 ✭✭
    Thank you very much for amending my essay :)
    I'm not sure I liked my teenage years as much as my young adult years. And life gets better, so I now find I enjoy life even more as each day goes by @lisa.

What about you?
    @mheredge I prefer my current life rather than teenage one. :D
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    When we are young, we have little experience, lettle knowledge, little judgement. All those shortcomings are actually the wonderful part of youth. Like a small glass being easy to become full, young mind is easy to become excited, depressed, and happy.
    I'm over 40 now, enjoying being an adult. My life is no longer like a boat in a stormy sea, but like a vessel leisurely sailing in the balmy ocean. I have the ability to deal with whatever I would be upset about if I were young. And you're right @lisa adults are free. I can do anything I want to do, as long as I'm responsible for it.
    So I prefer being an adult over being young in general, except what I'm suffering from aging, such as back pain.
    edited November 13
    @Yellowtail I think the most concerning issue in my teenage years is money, so I am happy to enjoy adult life now, because I have salaries and can enjoy my life as I like. Do you believe the memories teenage life would cling on the following adult life? My teenage life was a nightmare many times in my dreams, everything was clearly, and it seemed I could not go out from that kind of life.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    @lisa
    I think I'm a kind of a person who doesn't worry about the past. But totally same as you, my dreams are often set in my teenage places, like the town I grew up in, or the school I went to. I'm sure our teenage memories are buried in our subconscious, the deepest place in our mind.
    :'(
    Aches and pains get worse as you get older but otherwise I think I much prefer being older than younger.